Thoroughly Unpleasant - Two Firsts

Gneiss
Gneiss Posts: 14
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I was quietly minding my own business on my commute home, the sun was out, balloons in the air over Bristol and at around 1830 the roads were not quite so busy. Then all went a bit pete tong - cycling north up Redcliffe Hill I was keeping over to the left (the road is fairly wide there and there is ample opportunity for cars to pass without having to move to the right) when I was comprehensively left hooked (1st First) at Guinea St - I managed to turn the corner with the car but instinctively put my hand out to steady myself and made contact (hand to car) - this all happened very quickly.

The car stopped and I cycled on a few yards up Guinea St before turning round. The driver was winding her window down; and as I started to remostrate (on the poor quality of her driving - and here I surprised even myself I didn't start swearing) two blokes got out of the back and started threatening to 'kick my head in' (2nd First) - I still can't believe it now - the absolute absurdity of their actions - it was clear that they had been drinking (heavily - one was holding a can of lager). At the same time my escape route had been blocked by a bus coming down Guinea St waiting to pull onto Redcliffe Hill.

For a moment I seriously thought that they would go through with their threat inspite of the presence of witnesses (guess that's what alcohol to excess does to you - dulls the senses (if they had any)). At some stage in their tirade one of them kicked out at the bike, no damage thankfully.

Luckily for me a plucky woman (Sainbury's worker I think) intervened telling them that I'd done no wrong and that she would bear witness - bless her cotton socks and with the bus finally out of the way I was able to move off

Through all this I did hear the driver explain that I should have backed off as she was indicating .......wtf

Not sure how I feel at the moment - pretty shaken by the experience and also saddened that people feel they can behave like that .

So beware of a morbidly obese female driver of a silver vauxhall zafira (57 plate maybe - I was too shocked to take teh number) with charming entourage in tow in the Redcliffe area of Brizzle.

Anyway take out there - you never know what psycopathic tendency maybe travelling in that car.
Kinesis Crosslight 5T

Trek Fuel Ex08

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sorry to hear about your engagement fella. Hope you are okay.

The worst I have had was the van driver that kicked me while I was down - cue me getting up and breaking his jaw. And the fish wife that nearly ran me over a few weeks back on Lockleaze (not surprising in that area!).....

Other than that, Brizzle is pretty quiet comparatively and this does sound like an unfortunate one off.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    should have let them drive off and phoned the cops

how many people have two guys in a car drinking, think she could have been on the pop as well?

I mean there is reason to stop them and if she is innocent, she would be soon on her way
  • Thanks gtv

Generally agree that Brizzle pleasant to cycle round - was a wrong place wrong time moment - just felt thoroughly shaken at the time and wasn't til after that I thought I ought to have taken the registration.

Driver could have been on the sauce as well but I didn't get close enough to find out - I think she tried to get out of the vehicle as well but gravity played its part and kept her in her seat
    Kinesis Crosslight 5T

Trek Fuel Ex08
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    lucky for you then

hopefully they did not collide with anyone else that day
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Gneiss wrote:
    Thanks gtv

Generally agree that Brizzle pleasant to cycle round - was a wrong place wrong time moment - just felt thoroughly shaken at the time and wasn't til after that I thought I ought to have taken the registration.

Driver could have been on the sauce as well but I didn't get close enough to find out - I think she tried to get out of the vehicle as well but gravity played its part and kept her in her seat

Sometimes, I think you instinctively know the types of car to leave well alone!

**for the record, I'd have done a runner and put it down to experience.
  • I thought the title said "Thoroughly Unpleasant - Two Fists" :shock: :oops:
  • Nearly four fists...

I did though quickly realise that having a go at them (verbally) - whilst might have been extremely easy to score a few points was not going to help the situation in any way.

Have actually found the posting quite cathartic and feel better this afternoon that earlier
    Kinesis Crosslight 5T

Trek Fuel Ex08