What commuting bibs?

timmyflash
timmyflash Posts: 526
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I have been using Shutt's basic ones as they were relatively cheap, but they're coming to an end i think, so was going to buy a new bundle.

They're on offer now http://www.shuttvr.com/shop/productdeta ... ts-Bundle/

Buy again? Two pairs for £65. Anyone better that? Suggestions please.
Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh

Comments

• For the money, they seem like a very good deal. Why change if you're happy with them?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Only tried about 3 pairs of bibs ever and wonder if i'm missing a trick with some mega-cheapies that are ultra durable and spot on for commuting.

I await more opinions. Come on internet - give me opinions.

Fixeh
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    From best to worst I would rank my bibs

Gore Ozon
    Vermarc basic black ones
    Bontrager basic black ones

The Gore ones are really nice. I got them for about £50, the cheapest I can see now is about £80. For £32.50 a pair, if the Shutt ones are comfy then stick with them.

Vermarc usually have some cheap team kits though if you fancy that http://www.vermarcuk.co.uk/special-offers.html
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I use the basic Shutt ones for commuting. They are fine. I use their Pro ones for the weekend and they are a world apart - far superior.
  • Nothing but Assos for me (well, that's not quite true - I have Castelli but hardly ever use them). 3 years down the line and they are still going strong.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i commute in whatever id also club ride or race in. why wear anything else?

so i commute in:
    assos
    gore
    castelli
    vermac

HOWEVER i will pick a pair depending on the type of riding im doing after work.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You're not very specific. If you only want a bib to show how you commute to work, how about this?

bus_bib.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2012
    I'm not a fan of my Shutt basic bibs. Pad's pretty awful compared with every other pair I have, including the DHB/Wiggle ones I bought at the same price.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • pangolin
    Nothing but Assos for me (well, that's not quite true - I have Castelli but hardly ever use them). 3 years down the line and they are still going strong.

The price puts me off but if they are fine after 3 years I guess things start to look a little more appealing. How many do you rotate to achieve this longevity?

@ EKE: We are having a serious discussion about mens skintight dungarees, this is no place for jokes.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    pbk do own brand ones that are good - I think they are on sale ATM
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • pangolin
    edhornby wrote:
    pbk do own brand ones that are good - I think they are on sale ATM

These? http://www.probikekit.com/uk/clothing/cycling-clothing/cycling-shorts/pbk-performance-cycling-bib-shorts.html
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    Nothing but Assos for me (well, that's not quite true - I have Castelli but hardly ever use them). 3 years down the line and they are still going strong.

The price puts me off but if they are fine after 3 years I guess things start to look a little more appealing. How many do you rotate to achieve this longevity?

TBH I could survive on just this pair as they'll wash and dry overnight. Once it gets really cold, I swap to my Assos Winter tights. I recently bought a second pair of the Assos shorts to see me through my Ireland ride (430 miles and not a single butt-related issue) but frankly, apart from some fading, it's difficult to see and noticeable degradation between the two pairs. I wouldn't buy anything else now.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DHB Aeron Pros. Fantastic shorts for the money.
  • Might just do a couple of Shutts and a couple of DHB ones then. Or look more closely here.

As for winter - over tights FTW. Winter bibs seem a bit of a luxury as you can only wear once before needing a wash.

Fixeh
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    pangolin wrote:

@ EKE: We are having a serious discussion about mens skintight dungarees, this is no place for jokes.

So you don't want one of these then?
    bike-icon-baby-bib-p87c253s13a1_d1i44382p1049676z1r1c1f2.png
    Or maybe one of these if you don't do flat bars?
    colorful-bike-baby-bib-p87c253s13a1_d1i60610p573676z1r1c1f0.png
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DHB Aeron Pros. Fantastic shorts for the money.

They've been good for me too. Doubtless Wiggle is probably having a sale at the moment (when aren't they).
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, I like my Aeron Pros too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    What is the SPEG kit like, seems cheap enough, and I think there were a fair few people on here singing their praises a few years back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've got a pair of the old Shutt Pro bibs. Still looking good after two years. I shall get some more.
    Faster than a tent.......