Being overtaken

2»

Comments

• markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    This is never a problem for me -
    1) I never catch anyone
    2) if anyone passes me, see 1) above....

MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    MarkP80 wrote:
    This is never a problem for me -
    1) I never catch anyone
    2) if anyone passes me, see 1) above....

MarkP

Join the club. At least, the "never catch anyone else on a road bike" club. Blokes on MTBSOs are a different issue, of course.
  • if i going to overtake someone who is probably just as fast as me, i do it very quickly then fart as i go by leaving a trail of chemicals to ruin their day as i ride onto victory!
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    I have to disagree with all this, you have to overtake people it's the law, I saw a paperboy of about 13 years on a bmx with about 50 kg of papers in his sack, and I still had a massive grin when I overtook him
  • adm1
    adm1 Posts: 180
    hipshot wrote:
    This usually happens on hills for some reason; they commit to the overtake; then get caught out by the gradient and drop into an easy gear in front of you. Forcing you to change right down or speed up and overtake them, which makes me feel like the worst kind of cyclepath hero.

Agreed. Happened yesterday exactly like that. And seeing as my route was constantly punctuated by small but sharp inclines I kept having to back off to avoid looking like a prick. I suppose the logical thing to do is just stop for five minutes, have a drink and then carry on unencumbered by such worries. That's what a mature adult would do...

I think the best thing to do is just to pull up by the side and have a nice chat. Who knows, you might make a friend. Worst case, you can tell them how overtaking and then slowing down is a pretty dickish thing to do. Of course, if you do that, you should make sure you have the legs for a clean getaway.
  • I find it a bit irritating when I get drafted up a hill for 5 minutes, then they pass me and ride off into the distance and ignore my attempts to communicate as I carry on at my steady pace (I only have the one).

Just leaves me feeling used, cast aside and momentarily disgruntled. Other guys come past at a good pace and say hi as they go. No problem with that, I know my p(l)ace, and I in no way expect everyone who passes me in either direction to stop for a chat and a biscuit, but when you drag someone up a climb and they just sit there (obviously needing the help) until you are no longer useful, it's just rude.

My four year old knows not to take something without asking or saying thank you...
  • On the subject of overtaking, what's the etiquette for overtaking, or being overtaken by, groups of cyclists?

We get quite a few decent sized club runs around here at the weekends (Surrey hills) with groups of varying abilities, from those who scream along to those at a much more scenery-friendly pace. The problem's not arisen on the road bike yet, but it's only a matter of time before I come across a group going slightly quicker or slightly slower than me and I'm at a loss as to how it's best handled. Is there some sort of standard procedure for dealing with these situations, or is it a case of just winging it and hoping?
    Mangeur
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    I got passed on my way home on Wednesday by someone in normal clothes on what looked like a PoS MTB. I was about to throw away my bike in disgust when I noticed he was doing over 20mph on a slight uphill without pedalling and only then did I realise it was an electric bike! If it hadn't been for the traffic I would have used him for a bit of drafting.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    On the subject of overtaking, what's the etiquette for overtaking, or being overtaken by, groups of cyclists?

We get quite a few decent sized club runs around here at the weekends (Surrey hills) with groups of varying abilities, from those who scream along to those at a much more scenery-friendly pace. The problem's not arisen on the road bike yet, but it's only a matter of time before I come across a group going slightly quicker or slightly slower than me and I'm at a loss as to how it's best handled. Is there some sort of standard procedure for dealing with these situations, or is it a case of just winging it and hoping?

If you're overtaking a group, a quick call of "on your right": to let them know you're there and not for any one of them to pull out. If a group overtakes you (they've probably just signalled through the pack that they're overtaking someone ahead) just maintain your pace and let them go with a cheery good morning. They may shout "on your right" but may not as there's only one of you and you're unlikely to move off your line.
  • Cheers g00se! Will adopt precisely that strategy.
    Mangeur
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    g00se wrote:
    They may shout "on your right" but may not as there's only one of you and you're unlikely to move off your line.
    I'd rather they did call - riding alone I often move out around little obstacles - drains, potholes etc - if they're going to pass close then it's best if I know they're there before they start coming past - just to make sure I don't swerve into them!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I would rather they give an on your right as otherwise I don't know they are there. I respond with yes to indicate that I have heard and understood. I do this myself but rarely overtake anyone ...
  • When I see someone ahead that I know I'll catch, I'll try to adjust my speed so I overtake where there's plenty of space & visibility. I'll give them a call to let them know I'm there. Then I'll get by as quickly as possible (minimal time at risk) and then settle back to what I was doing.
    I've been overtaken too, each time they've come up behind and the first thing I've known about it is a brightly-coloured object passing close by. Makes me jump out of my skin and I'm sure that's not safe for them or me.
    The other day I was catching a couple of riders up quite quickly, but when I got to them, I just didn't have the energy to go by, so I sort of dangled off the back of them a bit, had a chat and then sort of rode with them. Up the hills they left me behind, but I caught up on again on the flat/downhill. I'm SURE it was my bike weight and not mine. Gravity is a wonderful thing. :mrgreen:

Got my first sportive next weekend, and I'm a little concerned about overtaking/being overtaken by lots of riders on narrow lanes. Particularly as I'm following it with taking my daughter on the family ride and her riding can be slightly unpredictable. Oh, and we've got to be on the lookout for badgers destroying the road. :shock:
  • SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    Pross wrote:
    I got passed on my way home on Wednesday by someone in normal clothes on what looked like a PoS MTB. I was about to throw away my bike in disgust when I noticed he was doing over 20mph on a slight uphill without pedalling and only then did I realise it was an electric bike! If it hadn't been for the traffic I would have used him for a bit of drafting.

LOL this.

I was busting a 5% ish climb for about a mile a couple of months ago, when a Granny bike came past me, comfortably as well, I had to double take, as the second 60 year old came cruising past. Took me about a minute to realise they were on electric bikes, as I was initially just in a state of shock :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    SPOC wrote:
    Pross wrote:

LOL this.

I was busting a 5% ish climb for about a mile a couple of months ago, when a Granny bike came past me, comfortably as well, I had to double take, as the second 60 year old came cruising past. Took me about a minute to realise they were on electric bikes, as I was initially just in a state of shock :lol:

Had similar in France - not busting up the hill - but it was hard work - strong headwind and SWMBO sheltering behind me .. bloke on a roadbike floats past - no problem with that ... followed by a woman on a sit up and beg bike - just breezing past ... WTF?! Took me about 5 seconds to realise it was electric !! and about 1/2hr to persuade SWMBO that she didn't want one too!
    Saw them quite a bit then - him doing some climbing and her along for the ride ... cool solution for the non-riding wives!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @guanajuato...the sportive thing can be a little nerve wracking, they will whizz past, without warning and often quite close. You may get an on the right but often not and never a tinkle. If its one of the staggered start ones, you could make sure you are the last to start. That means you will possibly be the last to finish and no one to ride with. Other than that you've just got to hope that they are all sensible
  • As I'm still too slow to overtake anyone except the odd octogenarian my only experience is really being overtaken. There's one chap who has overtaken me twice and really needs to think about his timing, both times he has gone past just as I look over my shoulder before sticking an arm out for a right turn and both times I've very nearly smacked him in the face! :lol:
  • hooters wrote:
    As I'm still too slow to overtake anyone except the odd octogenarian my only experience is really being overtaken. There's one chap who has overtaken me twice and really needs to think about his timing, both times he has gone past just as I look over my shoulder before sticking an arm out for a right turn and both times I've very nearly smacked him in the face! :lol:

Right turn Clide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    They think they are the only ones on the trail enjoying the solitude until I approach them at 20mph. I like to make their knuckles go white just as I overtake them honking my hooter that sounds like a trains.

I can't help thinking riders with huge bellies on road bikes look stupid. So, as I go by I shout by way of encouragement" Only another 4 or 5 stone to go then". Same for road runners.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • cyco2 wrote:
    They think they are the only ones on the trail enjoying the solitude until I approach them at 20mph. I like to make their knuckles go white just as I overtake them honking my hooter that sounds like a trains.

I can't help thinking riders with huge bellies on road bikes look stupid. So, as I go by I shout by way of encouragement" Only another 4 or 5 stone to go then". Same for road runners.

Well done! :roll:
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    cyco2 wrote:

LOL you're such a c...........!