which dropper post??

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I recently sold my remedy and bought a blur lt and unfortunately the seatpost sizes are different :cry: So I had to sell my reverb too.

So I'm in the market for a new dropper post but which one to go for?? I always loved my reverb, it did have a bit of front to back movevent but guessing they probably all do.....

I'm interested in the KS LEV and possibly waiting for the new thompson one (but that could be up to a year) or obviously another reverb? which would you go for?

Also my frame has dropper guides but only suitable for cables and not hydraulic lines so routing a reverb wont be as neat.
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    budget?
    seat post size?
    I would like to keep the budget as low as possible. I can geta reverb for about £170 but would go up to about £250 for the right post. and I'm happy to wait for sales etc
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • They're all much of a muchness, and all fail in similar ways. Personally, I still think the hydraulic actuation of the reverb is a bloody stupid, unneeded addition.
    The only one I'd avoid for the time being is the new Crank Brothers one - it seems that after sorting the Joplin (with the Joplin 4), they went ahead and made another faulty post just to fu*k with us.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Got a KS one (950 I think?) with the remote, had it 2 years, still works fine, just got to make sure you keep the lever cam under the saddle clean and generally look after it. Gets bit sticky if you've not used it in a while, just need to bounce your arse on it the 1st time then its fine after.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Gravity Dropper is probably the most reliable (from my reading about on the web) and very easy to dismantle and service if required. But doesn't have the infinite adjust its either up or down no half way house.

The RS Reverb and the KS posts also have a good reputation now although might be harder to service your self.

The Reverb is cheaper than the Lev but the Lev has the static cable entry. Upto you which you prefer
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Specialized one is pretty good - a bit 'clunky' - literally, it clunks. But the 3 position is useful and probably more so than the infinite adjust of others.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    GD is three position if you get the multi (up, down and 1" down). I was sure about it after having had an infinite-adjust post before, but it actually makes a lot of sense. You always know exactly where the post is going to be; there's notrying to find a mid-point but ending up being too low/high. Bonus is static cable, idiot-proof reliability and being able to completely strip it with little more than a couple of allen-keys. Oh, and it's still pretty much the lightest available.
  • warpcow wrote:
    GD is three position if you get the multi (up, down and 1" down). I was sure about it after having had an infinite-adjust post before, but it actually makes a lot of sense. You always know exactly where the post is going to be; there's notrying to find a mid-point but ending up being too low/high.
    :|
    Seriously?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Really, yeah. It's not something I got upset about with my previous post. Just that if I wanted to raise it a bit, but not all the way, and it ended up lower than I wanted I just dealt with it. It's only now that that isn't an issue that I realise how often I compromised before. It's not a life-or-death kind of compromise though.
  • went for a reverb in the end from bikediscount.de £163 it does not come with a bleed kit but i still have the kit from my last post. Servising should not be a problem as i am pretty handy like that. would have loved toget one with a static cable but just couldnt justify the extra hundred quid.
    Probably upgrade to the thompson a few months after its released if it has a static cable.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    from what I've read about the Thomson the cable entry point is at the head so wont be static.