Superstar bottom bracket?

billybodger
billybodger Posts: 31
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im looking to replace my race face bb ( didnt last long :( ) Have seen superstar ones at a reasonable price but total bad reviews ? or sould i just splash the cash and go for a Hope one? Any experiences with any of them?

Comments

• I read the reviews on Superstar for all of the Angletech and they seem to have a high rate of seize. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole based on that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get your BB shell faced or at least checked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes will check the BB shell out. Have had a look around on the net and have seen some upgraded replacement bearings for the RF BB for £20,come compleat with better seals so they say. Ill make sure the bearing preload washers are all ok and give them a go.
  • What nick said.

I tried a superstar ceramic a couple of years ago, didnt last long at all, was ok while it worked (like most things) but I chewed through it very quickly and my BB was faced before it went in.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    raceface BB's are terrible, just get a shimano BB they last forever and are cheap as chips .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Checked out the BB face an they ok.Got some enduro bearings for the RF cups trough today all fitted and up and running ok will see how long it lasts.
  • Checked out the BB face an they ok.Got some enduro bearings for the RF cups trough today all fitted and up and running ok will see how long it lasts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How did you 'check out the BB face' exactly?

Realistically the only way to do it cheaply is with a facing tool.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • With a big vernier caliper,screwed in the BB cups (no washers) and tightend them up and just mesured across the faces. Had a difference of about .2 of a mm so think that ok. Got an advantage as i have access to these things. Yes would cost a bit to get one just for this job!