edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Any good or to be avoided?

£60 inc. BB
6442_fsa_moto_x_chainset.jpg
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• General Alpine AM stuff I guess. Some DH runs but will be mainly wheels-on-the-trail kinda stuff I should think

Trek Session 8
  • Forged arm shape
    Integrated MegaExo bottom bracket
    AL6061 forged crank arms
    Chromoly pedal thread inserts for durability
    Polycarbonate outer bash guard
    Chromoly middle ring
    Chromoly inner ring
    Chromoly chainring bolts
    22/32 Ring setup
    Q-Factor: 169mm
    Chainline: 51mm
    Black anodised crank arms
    Clear Polycarbonate bash guard
    Weight: 1.05kg including BB
    Crank length - 175mm

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds ideal, they are pretty tough.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Sounds ideal, they are pretty tough.

Yeah, thought that but just read some awful reviews!

It says 9sp but guess I won't have any issues running 10sp with it ?

Trek Session 8
  • General Alpine AM stuff I guess. Some DH runs but will be mainly wheels-on-the-trail kinda stuff I should think
    I was going to give the usual "stick to Shimano, SLX maybe" reply, but I just checked CRC, and they're asking more for the SLX double than I paid for my Saints :shock:
    I mean, what the actual fukk?

That's not even funny.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Mate of mine has some and says they're really flexy and doesn't like them... I'm buying them off him :lol:

Only until I can afford some saints mind, new frame has an 83mm BB and they're the cheapest cranks I can get hold of right now. Just get some used saints, you won't regret it. In fact PM me if you want mine, I'm getting rid of my 68/73mm saints.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Saints would be great..although bit weighty for a bike that's gonna do a lot of climbing too

But price is really the key here. I'm looking to spend £60 max. inc. BB and also want 22/32 so would have to fork out for a new ring too.

I'd go for the SLX but that's £90 from CRC and the Germans and and still have to swap that ring which is another £10-£20 so puts it way over budget.

Trek Session 8
  • What about Shimano Hone ?

HT2, just over £60 and 22/32..and black;
    8165_shimano_hone_chainset.jpg

Any good?

Trek Session 8
  • Yes yes yes, get the Hone.
  • Yes yes yes, get the Hone.

ha! Thought you'd like that! I prefer the look of it to the new stuff as well. Nice and understated..perfect

Trek Session 8
  • I know what you mean about the aesthetics. I like the old saints, just plain black, with a very small "saint" logo hidden on the top side of the crank.
    Of course, a lot of the black has worn away now, but I still like the understated look.
  • That Hone looks more like some German engineering with that logo..nice

Anyway - ordered. Along with an Easton Haven Alu bar (in black) for £36 and some rim tape to replace the abysmal excuse for rim tape that I'm using now that came with the Superstar wheel build.

All in all a good day so far.

now better get back to earning instead of spending...

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    I actually like the newer (mk2) saints, the graphics are pretty cool, shame they rub off so easily.

Aren't Hone like the predecessor to Zee? Only they didn't do so well... Not sure why, apparently they're pretty good.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Mate of mine has some and says they're really flexy and doesn't like them... I'm buying them off him :lol:

Only until I can afford some saints mind, new frame has an 83mm BB and they're the cheapest cranks I can get hold of right now. Just get some used saints, you won't regret it. In fact PM me if you want mine, I'm getting rid of my 68/73mm saints.

Cheers for the offer btw but something tells me you'd want more than I was willing to pay :wink:

Anyway - think I've got a good deal on the Hone set and they're ready to go.

...and like I say - I love the look of 'em
    8165_shimano_hone_chainset.jpg

8)

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    Was only looking for about £40, they're pretty old. Found someone who is willing to swap them for their 83mm saints though, win/win :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ha! Nice one. I love it when a plan comes together :)

Trek Session 8
  • btw - a 9sp crankset will work fine with a 10sp set-up wont it?

Or will shifting be better if I stick to 9sp for the rest of it ??

Trek Session 8
  • I'm pretty sure that even if you did run into problems, you could buy cheapo 10-speed compatible chainrings to make it work. The front mech and shifter should stay the same since you still have two chainrings at the same spacing as 9-speed.
    I have no immediate plans to go to 10-speed, so I'm remaining ignorant about it until I need to not be. Basically, sticking my fingers in my ears and going La La La La La.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Hone is the same as the old LX, but with a steel insert for the pedals.
  • I'm pretty sure that even if you did run into problems, you could buy cheapo 10-speed compatible chainrings to make it work. The front mech and shifter should stay the same since you still have two chainrings at the same spacing as 9-speed.
    I have no immediate plans to go to 10-speed, so I'm remaining ignorant about it until I need to not be. Basically, sticking my fingers in my ears and going La La La La La.

:lol: fair enough. If it works out significantly cheaper I might just go 2x9 anyway. Then again that could be a false economy if in 3 or 4 years time I can't buy 9sp bits any more and have to upgrade to 10sp then anyway :?

Trek Session 8
  • Just got an email from Merlin;

"Unfortunately, due to a stock error, we have now sold out of the Hone double chainsets.."

Back to the drawing board :|

Trek Session 8
  • That's just stupid. There's no way a drawing board would work.

:lol: fair enough. If it works out significantly cheaper I might just go 2x9 anyway. Then again that could be a false economy if in 3 or 4 years time I can't buy 9sp bits any more and have to upgrade to 10sp then anyway :?
    Considering you can still buy 8 speed kit i doubt 9 speed will go away any year soon.