Sportive Prep advice for a newbie?

GuyWhitlock1993
GuyWhitlock1993 Posts: 14
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I recently started road cycling proper (about 3 weeks ago) and the most I've done so far is 35 miles in one sitting (although altogether I did about 95 over the past week). I found myself a cycling buddy, and he is entering the St/ Neots Autumn Breeze Sportive on the 7th october (about 80 miles long) and suggested I enter it too as it shouldn't be too difficult with 2500-ish ft of climbing. I've taken the plunge and entered it, but seeing as I only have time for another 4 longer weekend rides (and my usual shorter evening rides) before the event, so I was just wodnering whether anyone would be able to give me some advice on how to better prepare. Should I push up the distance rapidly, focus on doing more on week-day evenings? I'm starting to panic slightly, because i don't have the greatest endurance, but I am determined to be prepared enough for it.

Thanks for any help,

Guy

Comments

• Anyone? :(
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I'm no expert so I'm not qualified to comment but if you look over the last 2 weeks on this "Road Beginners" thread you'll see half a dozen "preparing for my first 100 miles" threads which contain some pretty good advice.
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    i think you will do this no problem, i , like you was worried about my first one, and although i had done a bit more training, i did 120miles and 5000ft!, my tips are this:-
    buy good shorts £70 plus
    buy a top with back pockets , stick nurofen, lucozde tablets and an energy bar in there
    follow the signs, and make sure you are heading the right way if you dont see signs for a while stop and check
    pace yourself, dont go like a nutter
    dont pig out a food stops,bit of fruit and fill your pocket with another energy bar should be plenty
    keep drinking
    if you have a short sleeve top, get arm warmers, i think they are great!!! you may get mocked by others

enjoy it

dont listen to me, i have only done 1 sportive :D
  • I have some considerably cheaper shorts than that xD can't afford better ones, although i find that these are doing the job so far,
    Pacing myself is going to be one of the major problems difficulties I think, although i'm trying to get used to. On my cycle home from work I cover 3 pretty big hills (and one is a cat 5 according to mapmyride (don't trust their accuracy at all)) I am getting used to spinning up them in one particuar gear so I get used to it.
    Nutrition is something i haven't looked at too deeply just yet, although I always make sure i have pasta the night before my weekend ride to try and help. Arm warmers may be useful, my top is proving rather chilly at times :L

Thanks for the advice :D
    I just wish i had a useful mapping software to help me gauge my progress. I usually use mapmyride, but I'm not so sure anymore. The 35 mile route I mentioned in the orignal post had 679 ft of climbing according to MMR, but then I plotted the same route on ridewithgps.com and it said there was a total 1569 ft of climbing :S
  • Loads of good advice in other threads. I've only done a few sportives and can only offer my limited experience!

Food and drink have been the biggest issues for me on longer rides. I need to eat once an hour (gels, cereal bars, bananas) and drink at least one bottle an hour on hot days (got through 6 over 65 miles in the 30 degree heat a few weeks ago - albeit with slightly more climbing - 4,000 feet). If you feel hungry or thirsty, you've left it too long.

The other big thing is pacing. I'm not particularly experience in longer rides, but it always amazes me how many people race off ahead of me in sportives, only to catch them again on the second half or, worse still, see them having hit the wall before the end. Obviously, everyone is different, but I try to ride at about 80% to 85% pace for at least the first 25 miles, just to get going and then up the tempo a bit if I'm feeling good. I'm also aware that I have bad spells during rides, but they do tend to pass. I just have to ride through them.
    FCN 3 / 4