Nobblys to Road Tyres

Squinchy
Squinchy Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hi

I have a Cube Ltd Ed Comp Pro 2010 with 26" Nobblys on it and have been doing a good 60-80 miles a week on it for the past 6 months now. However im getting tired of falling behind on hills to my mates all on road bikes.

I think now is the time to put some road tyres on it and would be grateful for someones advice. I do all road riding now with elevations some increasing up to 1100 ft +. Im pushing 14 stone as well so i dont know if they had to be accounted for.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sell it and get a road bike?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I would but I love it too much!! I got it on a cycle to work scheme 18 months ago and have just finished paying for it. I dont know how/who/where to sell it for a start and if its even worth it?

Is putting road tyres on it not a good idea then?
  • Ive been told putting something like this on the bike would be ok

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marath ... city-tyre/

Is this a real amateur answer, sorry im new to all this
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also look at the Schwalbe SuperMoto and Big Apple.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They would be fine.
    I would go for these - cheaper and lighter.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-city-jet-mtb-tyre/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do like my Kojacks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Guys Il check it out.

Ive also read that it may be worth putting a slightly different tyre on the front to the back but dont fully understand why?
  • Squinchy wrote:
    Thanks Guys Il check it out.

Ive also read that it may be worth putting a slightly different tyre on the front to the back but dont fully understand why?
    For road use, it's a bit pointless. Just go thin, and slicks.
    But... you have the wrong bike.
  • I know i need to make the descision as to whether to keep this bike as it is and get a roady, make this bike a roady until i can afford a new one or just leave it as it is! :S
  • Sounds like an ideal case of N+1.
    Buy yourself a £500 roadie, and keep the knobblies on the mtb.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Well money is tight at the mo which was why i was trying to find a cheap alternative to help me out in the meantime.
  • Squinchy wrote:
    Well money is tight at the mo which was why i was trying to find a cheap alternative to help me out in the meantime.
    Get a road bike on the cycle to work scheme?
  • That is a thought! Im changing jobs in the next few weeks so will see if they do it. I think i might have to wait to settle in before jumping to that though.

Thanks for your input though!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    If you ride off road as well, I'd look at another set of wheels, with something like these tyres, alternatively it's a road bike.

A road bike will be quicker than a MTB with slicks, but the slicks will make the MTB much easier on the road.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com