Adam Hansen

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Top geezer - not sure if he was affected by the bug that was going through the Lotto team but is now just a few days away from finishing his third GT of the year.

I did pose this question in a spoiler thread but it got sort of lost in the Contador / J-Rod excitement. How often is this feat performed these days and who are some other recent examples ?

Apologies if this isn't actually a rarety

Comments

• I think that in recent years, 1 or 2 riders achieve this each year, but someone will probably correct me on that!
  • Sastre did all 3 a few times I think, probably part of the reason him and Riis fell out.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Sastre in 2006 and 2010. I guess it isn't that rare, but still, amazing achievement!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Geminiani and Nencini have both finished in the top 10 in all 3 GTs in the same year.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Did Cav do it last year, or did he abandon the Giro halfway through?

Didn't Farrar do it recently too?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tom BB wrote:
    Did Cav do it last year, or did he abandon the Giro halfway through?

Didn't Farrar do it recently too?
    They both started all three. Didn't finish them though.

Apparently, only 31 people have ever done it. Marino Lejaretta did it four times.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    These are the riders who have finished all three since the Vuelta moved to late summer:

Piccoli, Mugarza, Lombardi, Sastre x2, Aerts, Zabel, Bruseghin, Dean and Lang.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Didn't David Millar do all 3 in 2009?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    O'Grady I feel sure did it also Giovanni Lombardi in the Cipollini years.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I remember Marino Lejarreta as a serial finisher of 3 grand tours when I started following cycling.

Just checked - he's still the only one to have done it 4 times. And all 4 times finishing in the top 10 in two of the 3
  • was going to say Wegelius but he didn't finish the Vuelta in 09
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    FJS wrote:
    I remember Marino Lejarreta as a serial finisher of 3 grand tours when I started following cycling.

Just checked - he's still the only one to have done it 4 times. And all 4 times finishing in the top 10 in two of the 3

That's truly astonishing. I'll have to google him as it's not a name I'm familiar with (but I suspect I ought to be given that sort of palmares)