Graydawg Posts: 673
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
As Above......

:D
It's been a while...

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a three litre bag I bought on ebay for seven quid and it's superb. Holds waterproofs, food, pump and spare tube, tools, etc. It may upset the Velominati but that's too bad.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Yes, I use one. Then again I don't like jersey pockets stuffed full so I tend to put as much as possible in the saddle bag. Just a personal preference.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Yep (we've done this one before, haven't we?). A small one that lives under the saddle. It helps reduce the risk of putting a CO2 cylinder through one of my kidneys, I find. :|
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    unixnerd wrote:
    I have a three litre bag I bought on ebay for seven quid and it's superb. Holds waterproofs, food, pump and spare tube, tools, etc. It may upset the Velominati but that's too bad.

Even the 'Velominati' struggle with this one ; some for, some against .

Don't like the look of them personally. 3 big jersey pockets is more than enough storage.

Depends how much you carry I suppose.
  • What do you mean by 'saddle bag'? Do you mean a seatpost wedge or a traditional type that hangs from bag loops?

Either way, I'm in favour of both of them, though I would use a seatpost wedge on any bike whereas I would only use a big saddle bag (big Carradice fan; thinking of purchasing a Camper Longflap at some point) if I actually needed that much stuff.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You forgot to add "it depends" as an option. I find that on long rides (225k or more) then 3 pockets (for food, multitool, phone, etc,) and a wedgie pack (for tubes/levels/chaintool/tyre boot) is just not enough. In fact, just the food can be a bit awkward (I am getting bored of losing bananas en route). I don't really like the look of a carradice on a sporty bike but I hate running out of food options even more.
  • Normally a small one for emergency stuff (I'd rather not land on the hard bits and pieces if it's all stuffed in my jersey pockets and I take a tumble). But rode across France with just a 3-litre seatpost-mounted one for company - held everything I needed for the 727 miles. No marks for the aesthetics or aero-ness, but everything for practicality.

Next question.
  • Don't feel bad using one... the Pros all use them when training (although Cav might not with that scooter following him around)

I use a small continental tube bag which fits:

1x tube
    2x flat tyre lever
    1x Park tools patches (the kind that come in the tiny square box)
    1x small piece of chalk.

I'm looking at the arundel uno as a replacement as its falling apart after only 1500 miles :(

a little bigger than the conti though:

P1020758.jpg
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    and a wedgie pack
    sounds like something the "bigger" kids at school do to you!! :mrgreen:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @briantrumpet... I have one of those seat post things and they are brilliant IMO ...my friend rode across Brittany and lived out of hers for a week
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    @briantrumpet... I have one of those seat post things and they are brilliant IMO ...my friend rode across Brittany and lived out of hers for a week
    And it doesn't half concentrate your mind on what is really necessary. As I waited at Portsmouth Harbour surrounded by cyclists laden down with panniers all around for their tours of Brittany, they looked at my minimalist offering, and were a little surprised when I told them I was going to the Alps.

Ooh, a photo opportunity:

DSC08750_19-08-2012.jpg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Don't feel bad using one... the Pros all use them when training (although Cav might not with that scooter following him around)

1x tube
    2x flat tyre lever
    1x small piece of chalk.

I'm looking at the arundel uno as a replacement as its falling apart after only 1500 miles :(

P1020758.jpg

impressed at the bike to house ratio in that picture :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Don't feel bad using one... the Pros all use them when training (although Cav might not with that scooter following him around)

1x tube
    2x flat tyre lever
    1x small piece of chalk.

P1020758.jpg

I use that same bag for 100+ milers, but in mine I was able to fit the following:
    1x tube
    2x tyre levers
    1x patch kit
    1x multi-tool with chain breaker
    1x extra links
    1x co2 canister with head
    :mrgreen:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    And it doesn't half concentrate your mind on what is really necessary. As I waited at Portsmouth Harbour surrounded by cyclists laden down with panniers all around for their tours of Brittany, they looked at my minimalist offering, and were a little surprised when I told them I was going to the Alps.

Ooh, a photo opportunity:

DSC08750_19-08-2012.jpg

Now thats a saddle bag!! haha!!

Yeap - i was referring to the ones that tuck in under the seat... I've had one for a while but never been sure if I like it's "look" or if I go to hell with the look and use it for it's functionality. Suffice to say, it's now on the bike! :)
    It's been a while...
  • Graydawg wrote:
    Now thats a saddle bag!! haha!!
    It was rather added to by waterproof jacket, spare tyre, arm/leg warmers etc. None of which were needed in France, as it was high 30's all the time. It's actually quite a tidy thing if you do want to travel minimally, and can keep down on the junk:

altura_arran_expanding_post_pack_aw11.jpg
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    and mine during a recent sportive in the new forest ...