Group sets

Htron
Htron Posts: 47
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Wisomed fellows:

I have been riding a retro mid 90's racer for the past two weeks and really enjoying it. I am used to low spec MTB gears, so now using Shimano RSX, I am absolutely delighted how smooth and precise the changes are. It's a revelation over my MTB!

How much better are current group sets? I can't imagine there is much scope to be smoother / faster in changes? Is weight the factor where evolution has made significant improvements?

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    They are a bit smoother, but you'll not enjoy riding much more because of the groupset.
    As you ride more you may want a more recent bike, and newer groupset, but it's the riding thats fun!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The bike I bought for my nephew was RSX and it's great. It was a bit stiff at first but I squirted some penetrating oil into the levers and all was well. If it's an older bike you may think about leaving it "as is" for a winter ride and getting something more modern to complement it rather than updating it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    Yes, I won't put any money into upgrades, I was just surprised at how nice the gears were for such an old bike. The only addition has been a new saddle. Although I have lost approximately a stone in weight, so my arse has less padding now than before!