Will these forks fit??

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

just wondering if these were a good choice to make

Rock Shox Sektor RL Coil Forks 2012

There usual price is £639 but are on sale at £359...however last saturday for some reason they dropped to £225 for that day and being unable to resist i bought them. I was slightly worried about the rotor size, should i be?

Thanks

Comments

• Rotors don't come with the fork?

As to if they will fit your bike, you don't mention that at all or the fork fitments, so no idea.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MTB_TR wrote:
    Hello,

There usual price is £639 but are on sale at £359...however last saturday for some reason they dropped to £225 for that day and being unable to resist i bought them. I was slightly worried about the rotor size, should i be?

Thanks
    the rotor is the last thing you need to worry about.

steerer size is what matters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MTB_TR wrote:
    Hello,

Thanks

£639!!??...not sure about that. £200 sounds about right...just hope they fit your bike
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ...and your front wheel!

Trek Session 8
  • Well i feel like a bit of an idiot :S specialized hardrock sport disc 2012 is the bike... the steerer tube is 1 1/8" so that fits.

As for the price, I was shocked as well, but thats what i payed ion the day so thats what i should get? its from chainreaction and the price has now gone back up to the sale value of £359 ( which is what it said the original price was when i bought it on sale for £225)

Cheers
  • Better to put a link of what you actually bought - there are so many different forks with different specs and even different models have very similar names i.e "Coil" and the "Dual Position Coil" "Air" and "Solo Air"

Are they these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67896

If so, the travel is way too much for a Hardrock and even if it wasn't you'd probably need a new front wheel anyway

Trek Session 8
  • Better to put a link of what you actually bought - there are so many different forks with different specs and even different models have very similar names i.e "Coil" and the "Dual Position Coil" "Air" and "Solo Air"

Are they these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67896

If so, the travel is way too much for a Hardrock and even if it wasn't you'd probably need a new front wheel anyway

Yeah, there the ones... probally a stupid move but i've already bought them, what do you mean way too much, more then it needs or physically too much? a new front wheel would solve this?

Thanks
  • Re fork travel : You're bike I'm presuming came with an 80mm fork. The bike has been designed to be ridden with an 80mm fork. You want to put on a 150mm fork. Do you see now?

You need to check with Specialized what's the maximum travel they recommend for your bike. They might say 100mm. They may say 80mm. You may or may not care about the warranty being void but the head angle would be way slacker, the bottom bracket would be way higher and the whole thing would basically just ride like a pig

Re wheel : You're bike I'm presuming came with a standard (9mm) quick release wheel. The fork you have bought comes with a 20mm Rockshox Maxle

I'd just send it back when you receive it and get something like a 100mm Reba

Trek Session 8
  • ok yeah thanks i will do that
  • nicklouse
    i still wonder why people ask for buying advice after they have bought something.

But as above, a totally unsuitable fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    i still wonder why people ask for buying advice after they have bought something.
    Watch the beginning of the film "idiocracy" - it explains it all.
  • nicklouse
    waiting for it to be on 4oD

;)
  • And you don't pay our tv licence. How rude.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    And you don't pay our tv licence. How rude.
    wouldn't matter if he did, the TV licence fees go to the BBC
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • better late then never? why did i post the question on buying advice after i bought it?? well it saved me opening the forks, fitting them and then not being able to get a return??
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    MTB_TR wrote:
    better late then never? why did i post the question on buying advice after i bought it?? well it saved me opening the forks, fitting them and then not being able to get a return??
    have a look at this guys thread viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12864989&hilit=hardrock running a pair of 140 sektors on a hardrock, i wouldn't do it myself though
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Much easier to have asked if they were suitable first!
  • Look on Merlin for some suitable Reba's i.e 100mm & QR

If you can't find Reba's or they're too expensive, maybe these;

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/rockshox-recon-gold-tk-forks-2012.html

As for the link you sent me - I don't know what forks are on the bike now but a pair for £120 odd I wouldn't think will be much of an upgrade :?

Trek Session 8
  • nicklouse wrote:
    waiting for it to be on 4oD

;)

any idea when that will be?

Trek Session 8
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    MTB_TR wrote:
    better late then never? why did i post the question on buying advice after i bought it?? well it saved me opening the forks, fitting them and then not being able to get a return??

Made sense to me, forks were over 60% off RRP per your post with unexpected price drop on Saturday and you didn't want to miss a potential bargain so purchased it knowing you could send it back.
  • anj132 wrote:
    MTB_TR wrote:

Made sense to me, forks were over 60% off RRP per your post with unexpected price drop on Saturday and you didn't want to miss a potential bargain so purchased it knowing you could send it back.

But pointless as they are completely useless for the OP's bike & wheels and those forks are £220ish from several different sites so it wasn't an especially good deal just the same price as everywhere else...and they were definitely never £600+ as stated.

Trek Session 8
  • Much easier to have asked if they were suitable first!

Yes...But nicklouse stated that he wondered why someone would post on buying advice after they have bought it?? not what is more logical - to ask before you buy or to buy and then ask (OBVIOUSLY not the later)... after i had made the mistake i could either post the question or not post it. im saying that by posting the question it saved me a lot of time and money... a good reason for posting it opposed to not posting it.

i think we all have the power of heingsight
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go for the rebas, £236 at merlin.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Go for the rebas, £236 at merlin.

with standard QR?

Trek Session 8