Had my first crash, should i change something?

ben11
ben11 Posts: 103
edited September 2012 in MTB general
So i came off at my local trail centre Saturday, it was on a limestone surface i think, at high speed but only a very slight bend. I came off sideways, i think i lost grip at the front but its difficult to recall.

I'm running Conti mountain king racesport 2.2 front and rear. I pumped my tires up to around 31/32ish psi but i had an issue with my front wheel which meant i had to re-inflate before i started the trail, i tried to match it by feel to the rear wheel but i obviously don't know what i was running at the time of the incident.

It could just be one of those things you learn from and maybe I was just going too fast but its good to get a 2nd opinion.

Cheers.

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I run lower in the front than the rear, as there is a lot less weight on the front tyre, so want it to grip a bit better hence the lower pressure.
  • I'll put money on it being rider error.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    If you know that much about your bike and tyre pressures but have never crashed I'd say ride more, read less.
  • Best thing to do is not ask for advice on forums like this. You will get all sorts of wrong or useless advice.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    sounds like straight forward tyre wash out, not ness rider fail. i have done it, and if you dont get it from time to time, your not trying hard enough :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    sounds like straight forward tyre wash out, not ness rider fail. i have done it, and if you dont get it from time to time, your not trying hard enough :lol:

Tyre washouts are always caused by poor technique. Line choice, failing to ride roots properly, speed, position on the bike, pedal position, dragging brakes when you shouldn't, bike set up.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Tyre washouts are always caused by poor technique. Line choice, failing to ride roots properly, speed, position on the bike, pedal position, dragging brakes when you shouldn't, bike set up.
    Always?

If your riding the same place the same way and always go the same line then maybe.

If your riding new places, new routes on the same bike using the same skills then terrain can catch you out.
    My most noticable wash out was in a race where the ground gave way on the edge of a bombhole and i ended up going over and sliding into it, and bending a (single) crank ring in the process. :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Always?

If your riding the same place the same way and always go the same line then maybe.

If your riding new places, new routes on the same bike using the same skills then terrain can catch you out.

That would be rider error then, shirley?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Either way, it was likely just a simple mistake. They happen from time to time. 99.9% of my crashes (and I crash a lot!) are down to me either not paying attention properly or just making a stupid mistake. Sometimes it all happens so fast that I've got no idea what I did, but I can usually guarantee that it was my own fault.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • VWsurfbum
    bails87 wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Always?

Dont Call me Shirley :lol:
    What i was trying to say was, if your riding was spot on, technique etc, still a slippery root or black ice etc can still catch you out, no matter how good you are.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Always?

Dont Call me Shirley :lol:
    What i was trying to say was, if your riding was spot on, technique etc, still a slippery root or black ice etc can still catch you out, no matter how good you are.
    Yep - and that would be rider error, since you didn't see it or react to it.
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Either way, it was likely just a simple mistake. They happen from time to time. 99.9% of my crashes (and I crash a lot!) are down to me either not paying attention properly or just making a stupid mistake. Sometimes it all happens so fast that I've got no idea what I did, but I can usually guarantee that it was my own fault.

are you talking about me?? :lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    This was your first crash? Well I will tell you this for free there will be plenty more
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Rider error/learning experience. You might want to randomly change something anyway though, just blame a bit at random

(a mate of mine crashed his motorbike and totally fell out with it, it was riding funny, probably bent, couldn't trust it... So he dropped it off at mine for a couple of weeks. I gave it a clean and gave it back. Thanks for fixing all that stuff that was wrong with it, it's a new bike!)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You're just a placebo cleaning b!tch.
  • VWsurfbum
    the guys were telling me about a guy yesterday at cannock, On one of the climbs he slipped off his pedals and it cut his calf, he started a proper hissy fit and ghosted his bike into the tree :shock: he was proper shouting at his bike as if it was its fault he slipped off his pedals.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    You're just a placebo cleaning b!tch.

It wasn't even a very good clean.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    How do you slip a pedal on a climb?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • VWsurfbum
    ilovedirt wrote:
    No idea, it was flats on a Orange 5 as well :wink:
    it was on the short zig zag climbs before the look out
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    the guys were telling me about a guy yesterday at cannock, On one of the climbs he slipped off his pedals and it cut his calf, he started a proper hissy fit and ghosted his bike into the tree :shock: he was proper shouting at his bike as if it was its fault he slipped off his pedals.
    I've seen people do stupid stuff when they're dehydrated or running seriously low on energy. It's quite funny in the mountains in the Alps, everyone gets cranky at some point. It's much harder to spot yourself doing it though.

Northwind's, on the other hand, is just a dirty placebo pusher. I bet he stand outside schools selling tic tacs to teenage ravers.
  • Northwind
    I bet he stand outside schools selling tic tacs to teenage ravers.

I do not. But, I might start, it sounds like a pretty good business model.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The funny thing is, Tic tacs are more expensive than what we used to pay for our, erm. Urban medication. Back in the days of college, like.
  • ilovedirt wrote:

Tyre slips out, weight goes forward, next pedal stroke already in motion, foot slips off pedal - that's never happened to you before? Really?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Northwind
    The funny thing is, Tic tacs are more expensive than what we used to pay for our, erm. Urban medication. Back in the days of college, like.

Maybe you should have repackaged it and sold it as tic tacs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

Tyre slips out, weight goes forward, next pedal stroke already in motion, foot slips off pedal - that's never happened to you before? Really?
    I use clips.

Literally have no idea why people still use flats for XC.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Clip(less) on a tough climb... You suddenly lose traction on the rear wheel whilst the bike slides sideways under you. Hello ground, meet Mr knee.
    Been there, done that.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Clip(less) on a tough climb... You suddenly lose traction on the rear wheel whilst the bike slides sideways under you. Hello ground, meet Mr knee.
    Been there, done that.
    Just set the clipless pedals so loose that they don't actually hold the cleats, then you can put your foot down.

Obvious! :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ilovedirt
    Clip(less) on a tough climb... You suddenly lose traction on the rear wheel whilst the bike slides sideways under you. Hello ground, meet Mr knee.
    Been there, done that.
    Haha, not been there either, usually manage to get my foot down in time. Not been far off, mind.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • It's a preferance thing. I like spd's for xc & downhill, some people like spd's for xc & flats for downhill some like flats for both & I even know one person who likes spd's for downhill and flats for xc.
    Toe clips have no place on a mountain bike though.
  • It's a preferance thing. I like spd's for xc & downhill, some people like spd's for xc & flats for downhill some like flats for both & I even know one person who likes spd's for downhill and flats for xc.
    2524741-Cool_abbfab_1578124.jpg

Toe clips have no place anywhere.