Organised Road Rides For The Whole Family

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
My wife and 8 year old son have been cycling a lot over the summer holiday, culminating in a couple of gentle 12 - 15 mile rides in the parks, so we are now looking for a longer, organised ride we can do as a family. Brilliant as the internet is a Google search brings up far too much stuff to wade through so I'm wondering if anybody has any experience of organised, family orientated road rides. We'd be looking for something around 30 miles with the chance for a food stop on the way and the opportunity to do it at whatever pace we're happy with (the lad averages about 8 mph on his massive, 20" wheels).

I realise I may have missed the boat for this year so if there's a good event we can put in the calendar for next year that will do.

Cheers

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Have a look if there are any Sky Rides in your local area. They may be a bit shorter than you are looking for but you may be able to do a second lap.
  • fatdaz
    Thanks Pross - a fantastic selection, had no idea they existed
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The BHF rides are usually very good for all. There are some family specific rides as well as some a little longer and the general atmosphere is lovely (all volunteers and all proceeds go to BHF). Not sure of your location but there is a good spread throughout the UK.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    +1 for BHF rides. There's one based in Warwickshire at the end of the month with a choice of 30 or 50 miles. The course is almost flat.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • fatdaz
    That's a real pity - it clashes with the Warwickshire triathlon - looked ideal and it's nice countryside round there
  • Adamgt
    Adamgt Posts: 114
    I'm planning on doing this BHF one at Carsington Water. Depending on how the Mrs feels, We'll do either the 16 or the 30 miles one.

http://peakdistrictchallengebikeride.weebly.com

I'll be carrying my 2 year old on a rear seat.
    Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
    Planet X London Road
  • Hi mate .
    Try looking at 'bike events online' .
    Dont know where you live, but hey do events around the country. They are quite well organised and they do various distances.