Beware the Bristol vigilante granny

mybreakfastconsisted
mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
http://road.cc/content/news/65440-pensi ... ng-bristol
A Bristol campaigner against pavement cycling has been photographing offenders in the city centre in an attempt to cut down the practice she says is a 'nuisance'.

70-year-old Ruth Bailey, a member of Bristol Older People's Forum, has pinpointed the Haymarket as a particular troublespot, and in just one hour outside Primark and Debenhams she caught 18 cyclists using the pavement. She said she was not fast enough with her camera to snap a further six she saw.

"I am concerned about safety on the pavements," Mrs Bailey told This is Bristol.

"I am especially concerned about pedestrian areas such as Broadmead. Near Primark and Debenhams, cyclists come racing through where there are queues at the bus stops.

"When I was there on Saturday there was someone cycling one-handed carrying bags while on the phone.

"They weave in and out, and get so close to pedestrians. I have got an arthritic knee, and if you have got a stiff knee you may be able to see something coming towards you but cannot jump this way or that to get out of their way. It is the same for people who are blind or cannot hear very well."

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    7953088.jpg

?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcow007 wrote:
    7953088.jpg

?

I remember getting the Super Gran books out from the library as a kid and looking forward to the TV series starting.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I wouldn't mind powers being devolved if that's the right word from the cops to local councils to enforce road traffic law. I don't mean grannies, traffic wardens or lollipop ladies or whatever. Camera'd up and catch and fine pavement cyclists, drivers on mobiles, drivers who park on pavements like fuds etc etc.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Is it GTV in drag?

:D:D:D:D

I am not averred to a bit of 'comfort'...every now and again...

**I think this resolves the previous 'debate'. :shock: