Road Virgin

sharper13
sharper13 Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
After being told to loose 2 stone by my GP I decided to take the plunge and buy a bike. Headed off to decathlon on Saturday and bought myself a Triban 3 after reading the reviews on here. Also filled the trolley with all the other gadgets and clothing I was told i would need and headed sheepishly to the checkout. Well after fitting my new look peddles on Sat night and trying out my shoes I took the plunge yesterday morning and went out for my first ride.
It was fantastic and I really enjoyed myself being out and about.

Completed 22 miles and averaged 15.8mph according to Strava – no idea if this is good or bad.

This morning I feel very good but a little stiffness in the legs and a bit of a sore bum!! I am really looking forward to seeing where this new hobby will take me and see if it can help me shift the 2 stone – will keep you updated!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Awesome, keep it up!

Your ass will get used to being on a saddle (I assume you bought proper bib shorts and aren't wearing anything underneath them). The weight will shift itself as long as you don't use the cycling as an excuse to treat yourself to another piece of cake!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • yes bought the bib shorts and went commando - I guess I will get used to the pain. Loved every minute of it though!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If it's still too much after a few rides it may be that the saddle and/or position isn't right for you. Takes a while to get it right.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Not a bad speed at all :-)

My nephew lost over three stone in under a year, just watch what kinds of food your eating too. The BBC Hairy Dieters on iPlayer is worth a look.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!