How long should a professionally decorated job last?

equinefunk
equinefunk Posts: 323
edited September 2012 in The hub
Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise on this? I had the outside of my house painted 2 years ago, that is the masonry painted as the whole house is painted white. It was painted by a professional contractor. I asked them to return in April last year as some of the paint was peeling, they did. Now that same paint is peeling again & various other areas are also peeling. I have requested that they return and touch up what has peeled. They're saying that for an external paint job to last 2 years is good. The last time I had it done it lasted 7 years. I have spoken to the paint manufacturer who has said that 2 years is not what they'd expect.

The company that did the job is sticking 2 fingers up at me....any idea how I can get recourse?
I was going to get it independently surveyed then put that to them, failing that take them to court. I'm struggling to work out my rights on this so any help would be appreciated.
I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.

Comments

• How bigs yer house!? I used to help my dad paint his parents house when I was about 6 :lol: He did it on his own using a set of ladders and a 6 year old to sit on the bottom rung to make sure it didn't slip!

Paint is paint though... it could last 7 years in one area and 2 years in another. Frinstance, i'd expect the paint to last less if it was by the sea.

Unless they gave a specific guarantee that the paint would last x years, I doubt you have much against them tbh.
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    How much did you pay for the original job?
    I was quoted nearly £6 G for "professionals" to do mine,
    Got a mate with a ladder to do it for £150, took him a day and a bit to do, still looks mint 3years later,
  • Paint is peeling on our house due to salt leeching out through the bricks as the damp course is failing (old house).

Might be an underlying problem - not the paint they have slapped on the top...
  • ats
    ats Posts: 18
    There are one or two reasons why masonary paint would peel.I should say that i am a professonal decorator (29 years now) but without seeing the problem would still be guessing and im being careful in my reply so not to implement another company.My guess would be that the paint was applyed in damp weather or your house was damp for the same reason.It could be a cheaper paint has been used so it would dry softer than the previous paint and not stick (key)very well to the excisting paint.Cheap paint may have been used they dont have a very good lifespan.They should have used a paint that contained piolite or another sealer which does not allow rain etc to penrtrate so easily.After saying all that it could still be something else my advice would be to be more carefull next time your decorater should have told you the lifespan of the paint he was using and why he was using that type of paint.If the job had been done properly and a good quality paint had been used it should last years.Personally i recomend masonary paint is repainted after 5 or 6 years and that would be only be to clean it up ,it should not peel but after 2 years theres little you can do :(
  • Thanks for the response, it was painted with Sandtex with a 15 year lifespan. The paint is peeling in random areas not consistently above the DPC but in the middle of a wall or on some pointing. The previous Paint Job lasted 8 years.

I wondered if I could pursue this through the courts. It's not the money so much as the attitude of the Painter. They are a large local company not some fly by night outfit.
  • ats
    Remember im guessing without seeing the job but i would say from your reply it was painted in damp conditions or damp set in before the paint dryed.If the previous paint was sound and in good condition then it would be likely to be that reason.Certainly any pointing was not allowed to dry before it was painted.As for taking them to court its more trouble than its worth (sorry).You have to give them so many chances to put the job right and log all proof of this ,recorded letters and so on.What people don"t know about large companys is they price low to get the work then cut corners to make the job pay. Most of their work is sub contracted out so they need to make a profit aswell as pay the sub contracter.My advice would be to ask for a site meeting ,ask if they are prepared to put the work right and how they will put it right .( if they are applying a sealer etc or if they are just going to paint over it).If they refuse to put things right then ask them to put it in writing and their reasons why.Do your homework before any meeting .Ring sandtexs technical number it will be on the back of the tin .
  • I have already discussed with Sandtex & they've told me that no way should it be peeling after 2 years. I've asked the Contractor to come out & review the work, they've refused. They've stated that 2 years is OK for a paint job. I can't get through to Citizens Advice to find out how to take them to court, all the correspondence is recorded & I have photographic evidence of the poor work.
  • ats
    I agree with sandtex. You would have to prove that the contractor was neglegent in a small claims court
    ((( Hello, I am a faster typer than hubby, I have taken someone to small claims before as they would not pay, anyway if you tried to take them to court the onus of proof is on you and you have to prove they did something wrong and that would be too hard to prove. It is all to do with 'valuable consideration' and they did the job although not correcctly but they did the job, and it lasted 2 years. So although you are right and they should correct it you won't win and you will end up paying their court costs because you have to prove they did it wrong and that is nearly imposible to do, they don't have to prove a thing. If however you get undeniable proof it is then up to them to prove you wrong.)))
    Next time you employ any trade get a written estimate detailing each stage of the work no matter how small the job
  • Thanks for that. I have a written estimate & I also have correspondence where they agree that they had to previously re-work incorrectly prepared walls. I know what you're saying about demonstrating that they are wrong. However they have already admitted that the work was not of satisfactory quality & have re-worked once.