A well used rim

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I was changing my tyres and I wondered if I should perhaps check my rim. No-one wants a rim exploding on them.

Anyway, I'm not sure how. I know sometimes rims have a groove all the way around, and once the groove is gone then you know it's worn out. No such grooves exist on my rims. Which means either they have some other indicator, or they are worn out :shock:

They are Shimano Ultegra rims. The only thing I could see that might be the indicator is a little round hole (really little). It's on this picture, under the second '2' in '622' on the tyre.

zgq5y.jpg

Anyone know if that is it, or if not what else I should look for?
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is the hole opposite the valve?
  • I think Shimano have the disappearing dot as a wear indicator, like you found. Mavic use an appearing dot for the same thing... Or is it the other way round?
  • pangolin
    supersonic wrote:

The opposite side of the wheel? Yeah it is, hadn't noticed that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    supersonic wrote:

Bad man

And that rim is fine when the holes gone worry
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pangolin
    itboffin wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Bad man

I thought that too at first, but realised he meant the opposite side of the wheel completely.

Found this in a tech doc for an R500 online
    The hollow on the opposite side to the valve hole is an indicator for the amount of
    rim wear. If this hollow can no longer be seen, stop using the rim.
    If you continue using the rim, it may break, and the bicycle may fall over and an
    accident may result.

Thanks for the tips guys
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pangolin wrote:
    Found this in a tech doc for an R500 online
    If you continue using the rim, it may break, and the bicycle may fall over and an
    accident may result.

Thanks for the tips guys

I hate it when the bicycle falls over. I mean, you have to then go and pick it up and all. I'm getting some new wheels!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I'm waiting for the hole to appear sometime on my aksiums, can't be long now
  • I think the method for measuring remaining rim thickness is to get some vernier calipers and a short section of spoke of known diameter. Tuck the spoke section into the groove where the tyre bead goes and measure the thickness of the rim wall and spoke together, subtract the spoke diameter and there you go (rim wall concavity due to brake wear notwithstanding). I've no idea what thickness of rim wall is safe though so this could be of limited use.
  • pangolin
    I do have a vernier caliper, so could do this. As you say though, not sure what I would do with the information!

Would result in something like "Oh, it's 1.3mm...." *shrug*
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    "Oh, it's 1.3mm...." *shrug*

That's what she said...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    The hollow on the opposite side to the valve hole is an indicator for the amount of
    rim wear. If this hollow can no longer be seen, stop using the rim.
    accident may result.

Ignorance was bliss, having read this and looked outside at the rear wheel.... so what's a good replacement for an RS20?
  • I can't help myself. I have to relay this. I have a mate called Alex. One day we were admiring his bike in the garden. It has, of course, Alex Rims. Alex's wife asked idly what Alex Rims means. And with beautiful comic timing my wife chipped in with, "I just presumed it was a verb." Missus Alex blushed.

Very rude if you get it. If you don't I'm not explaining it.
  • pangolin
    And...

Did Alex? Or did he not tell you.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • itboffin
    Scooting downhill this evening on my single speed with only a front brake I suddenly remembered one of these wheels has very thin rims ....shite!

Must check in the morning
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    itboffin wrote:
    Scooting downhill this evening on my single speed with only a front brake I suddenly remembered one of these wheels has very thin rims ....shite!

Must check in the morning

Wheel roulette!!
  • itboffin
    Stupid really as I have about 15 wheel sets and only one duff one so yes you're right.

Do you feel lucky punk!
  • itboffin wrote:
    on my single speed with only a front brake

He was a dedicated follower of fashion...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    on my single speed with only a front brake

He was a dedicated follower of fashion...

Pretending he was on a fixed. Oh the shame :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Riding a bike that fails C&U regs (well I'mm willing to bet 95% do anyway but......) naughty naught!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.