Garmin Edge & Strava

smartn
smartn Posts: 27
edited September 2012 in MTB beginners
I was thinking of purchasing a Garmin Edge 500 and it would be great if someone could confirm exactly how it works in conjunction with Strava segments. When I am out riding I want to be able to see how I am doing in relation to my personnel best time as I am cycling so I can see where I have improved (or am slipping back!). I can see that the Edge has this facility but I'm not sure how it ties in with Strava, can I load a segment from strava directly into the Edge or is this not possible?

Comments

• smartn wrote:
    I was thinking of purchasing a Garmin Edge 500 and it would be great if someone could confirm exactly how it works in conjunction with Strava segments. When I am out riding I want to be able to see how I am doing in relation to my personnel best time as I am cycling so I can see where I have improved (or am slipping back!). I can see that the Edge has this facility but I'm not sure how it ties in with Strava, can I load a segment from strava directly into the Edge or is this not possible?

Not aware you can do this, I use an 800 mainly on the road and just remember where segments start and finish. Then I just try to go as hard as I can (if I can be arsed)
    Segments are created by users on the Strava website on a section of a route they've ridden and uploaded, when you upload a ride Strava compares your ride to other users uploads and any existing segments you followed are logged. You then get a comparison of your time against other users. Only the common segment is compared, the rest of your ride can cover a totally different route.
  • Thanks for the reply. Is it possible with the Garmin to create your own routes that mirror the Strava routes and then monitor progress against that? I would only need to do it for may be the equivalent of 3 or 4 segments.
  • I believe you can "race" against your previous efforts on the Garmin 500. It tells you if you're ahead or behind, in either time or distance terms.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    What he said ^ set it up as a 'course' then you can race yourself, its in 'training' on my 705 I think.... it is also possible download other peoples segments and race them too if you are are serial KOM seeker ;-)
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Would have been nice to put the strava segments directly in to the Edge but it looks possible to acheive what I want to do. Cheers.