Melting Brakes

avaton
avaton Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've had my road bike for a few years now but only this year have I noticed the power in my brakes has seriously been decreased so I took it my LBS and had it serviced then they seemed fine untill my next ride today where the rubber has seemed to melt into a sludge and when dry looks broken up. Didn't use it over the winter and wondering if the damp in the shed has done something, my main question is this normal after a few years and.

If so what brakes do you recommend since i'm thinking of getting either a Trek 1.2 or Specialized Allez Sport and I need a strong pair of brakes, should I stick to the Standard Shimano Sora brakes on them or upgrade to a better version because I live on top of a hill and I need the power to be able to slow down when going down hill and it seems my current brakes simply have had it.

Update:
Photo's of the muck that came off and then when dried
mi6T0.jpg

I know that looks like just dirt but the camera hasnt picked up the dots of silver init which has come straight from the brakes/ rims.

Q0aVQ.jpg

After It dried,

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You have to go some to melt your brake blocks! More usual it's the dried remnants of brake pad residue and road dirt from your wheels - it sticks to the brake blocks. Have you tried removing it - it should just break off?

If you think you need better brakes, try replacing the one-piece blocks with cartridge holders and replaceable pads.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I used to have crappy single-pivot brakes on my road bike (rear one still is) but I upgraded my front caliper to Sora the other day and the difference is like night and day (or life and death). The Sora brakes nearly throw me over the handlebars!!! Also, as Monty said you need to be going some speed to melt your brakes haha!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • I have tektro brakes with stock pads, and they work very well. I've used old and/or decrepit vintage too, so I know only too well what truly dysfunctional brakes are like!

Adjustment is key, but I wouldn't be surprised if the blocks were to deteriorate, being made from rubber. You need go be able to service your own brakes though!
  • Thank's for the reply's

I think it was some residue as Monty mentioned but they're still seriously powerless whilst going downhill I'm pulling all the way back and they're hardly stopping me and i'm not heavy either just 67kg at 6ft.

I was talking to a mate who said he's using standard brakes but the levers are shimano 105 and his brakes are now much better, so which is better new brakes themselves and stick to shimano sora levers or other way around or change both?
  • declan1
    avaton wrote:
    Thank's for the reply's

I think it was some residue as Monty mentioned but they're still seriously powerless whilst going downhill I'm pulling all the way back and they're hardly stopping me and i'm not heavy either just 67kg at 6ft.

I was talking to a mate who said he's using standard brakes but the levers are shimano 105 and his brakes are now much better, so which is better new brakes themselves and stick to shimano sora levers or other way around or change both?

Have you adjusted the brakes so the pads are just a couple of mm away from the rim and fully covering the rim? If you haven't, I recommend doing that.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• declan1 wrote:
    avaton wrote:
    Thank's for the reply's

Have you adjusted the brakes so the pads are just a couple of mm away from the rim and fully covering the rim? If you haven't, I recommend doing that.

I have adjusted them they're i'd say 2-3mm from the rim and are fully covering it.
  • declan1
    avaton wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    avaton wrote:
    Thank's for the reply's

I have adjusted them they're i'd say 2-3mm from the rim and are fully covering it.

Well that's where they should be :? Just saw the pics! The brake pads do look a little bit worn out :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Yeah, that was only about 20km with around 2k's of downhill, mind you it was wet but still you just dont have the confidence then when your brakes are awful which means you cannot reach top speed out of fear of unable to slow down for roundabouts/ junctions etc.
    I think i'll just get a new bike since this one I bought in 2006 but is a 2004 model!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    avaton wrote:
    I think i'll just get a new bike since this one I bought in 2006 but is a 2004 model!
    That's a very expensive solution.

Clean up the rims, and put some new pads in.

Or buy a new bike if you're just after an excuse! :wink::lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Are you sure the cat's not done a woopsie on your brake pads? :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • bails87 wrote:
    avaton wrote:
    That's a very expensive solution.

Clean up the rims, and put some new pads in.

Or buy a new bike if you're just after an excuse! :wink::lol:

I think it's a great excuse too :D Well i'm 17 at 6ft now and I need a 58cm frame, I bought that when I was 12 it's a 43cm frame, it's now getting way too small for me, 20kms+ and it's a nightmare!

Yeah it does look like the cat's accident but no seriously that came from one brake the rear one and going downhill I can hardly slow down, for me brakes are crucial in building confidence with your machine to push harder and further and I no longer have confidence with this machine i'm just tip toeing.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    6ft and 43cm frame does mean you need a new bike.

sort the brakes on the little one and flog it (sounds like new blocks/pads are needed) and put the money towards a bigger one.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem