no gear and no idea - sportive

boborange
boborange Posts: 84
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
im thinking of doing my first sportive in november as its the earliest im free.

as the title suggests i have no idea and no gear except a 2005 specialized sirrus hybrid which i will be doing the ride on. Are hybrids ok for this type of thing?

Apart from getting fitter between now and then what gear would you recommend, ive got a helmet and will get gloves but is it worth investing in clipless pedals and is it worth upgrading from my Gap cargo shorts to some proper padded cycling ones?

any thoughts and suggestions much appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    How far? How hilly?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • 30 miles and i imagine not too hilly. the link below is the one im thinking of

http://www.sportivescene.co.uk/evans-cy ... sden-2012/
  • you will be more than fine on the sirrus, people will be turning up on mountain bikes and shoppers to do that (seriously!) The Sirrus is a good hybrid, make sure you get some miles in but 30 miles you should be able to do with minimal training.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Sirrus is a good hybrid, make sure you get some miles in but 30 miles you should be able to do with minimal training.

Indeed. I think you should aim a bit higher and go for the 50. It's maybe an hour and a half longer in the saddle at the most and much more worth making an effort for.

And yes to the question! In particular, I would get Shimano M520 MTB pedals (easier to get the hang of and perfectly OK on a road bike) and padded bib shorts are a spend you will thank yourself for endlessly!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thanks for the heads up. think i will get clipless as im planning to ride quite a bit and if i can try and do 10 miles a day.
    i rode 15 miles yesterday which took me an hour which i was pleased with. i thin i will see how my fitness is closer to the event!