BoxHill .gpx

iampaulb
iampaulb Posts: 159
edited September 2012 in Road general
Does anyone have any decent routes of boxhill they could show me or send their .gpx files?
Im trying to create one, but dont really know my way round boxhill as such

Comments

• From which area to Box Hill and how far do you want to ride ?

Hampshire is a big place for your home location :)
  • From which area to Box Hill and how far do you want to ride ?

Hampshire is a big place for your home location :)

Well I live in farnborough but I was going to loop boxhill a few times then drive home haha
    Just wanna practice climbing
  • iampaulb wrote:
    Well I live in farnborough but I was going to loop boxhill a few times then drive home haha

I rode from box hill to Farnborough today. Plenty of hills both ways. :wink:
  • iampaulb wrote:

I rode from box hill to Farnborough today. Plenty of hills both ways. :wink:

Got a route mapped?

just mapped up this, is this more or less correct? I dont like the idea of dual carriage ways :(
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Is this of any interest to you, starts and finishes at the top of Box Hill and takes in some of the real nice climbs in the area.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177333854
    Its a route some friends and i do every year
    If so pm me your email addy I will create a gpx and mail it
  • Ah nah that should be ok thanks, I should be able to save the course from your route.
    It looks similar to the route which was in last months cycling plus. Which I have also saved...

I'll save the route though, thanks!

As a newbie to box hill, is there car parking and such there?
  • NewTTer
    There is a national trust car park at the top of the hill opposite the National Trust Cafe. All day parking is very reasonable.
    Be warned there are some 20% sections on some of those climbs.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Where around box hill do you think there are some 1 in 5 climbs? Or are you talking off road? The road climbs are pretty relaxing, 1 in 10 steepest I think (10%).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Where around box hill do you think there are some 1 in 5 climbs? Or are you talking off road? The road climbs are pretty relaxing, 1 in 10 steepest I think (10%).

I think he means the Surrey Hills near Box Hill. Winterfold Lane a.k.a. Horseblock Hollow has a 20%+ section

I think there is one near Ranmore Common (not Whitedowns) that also has a 20% section.

Whitedowns is 16% or 17% as well. There are loads of climbs in the area that are above 10%
  • Staples Lane between the Clandons (East or West depending on which way you attack it) and Shere is pretty tough. It's steepest coming from the Shere side, approx 15% in places.

IMHO Boxhill is not hard and to be honest, not that long as climbs go.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • NewTTer
    drlodge wrote:
    Go try Pitch Hill up into Winterfold, did you even look at the route? We all kow that Box Hill itself is pretty tame
  • From Fleet to Boxhill and back via Aldershot for you - close enough to Farnborough for military work.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/208432387
  • From Fleet to Boxhill and back via Aldershot for you - close enough to Farnborough for military work.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/208432387

oh sweet!! thanks man, that looks pretty awesome. Ill def try that out...thank you
  • You're welcome.

The garage at East Horsley is a good place to stock up as you don't get much foot traffic there and you can lock your bike to the BBQ supplies stand when in the store.