SRAM X0 1x10 DH Cranks - opinions?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just wondering if there are any opinions on these cranks from those who have used or seriously evaluated them, in the main for durability and how good the chainring is, whether it's fine enough with no bash or can you fit a bash (doesn't look like it)? And compatibility issues for replacement parts (assume basically just the chainring and bolts).

Not specifically for DH use for me, though more descent than up with a little DH, but would get the 34t version, which combined with my 11-36t cassette (currently have an X0 2x10 set) that gives an ideal range for me personally for most climbs and trails. I know this from my C456 which has the same set up.

Just comes down to whether it's worth the money for these (I'm not asking whether 1x10 is worth it, that's a personal choice thing), otherwise I'll do what I did with the C456 and convert something to 1x10.

Comments

• sram..
  • More descent than up? Surrey must be an interesting place :lol:
    Just stick with Shimano cranksets - there's no reason to even consider anything else.
  • More descent than up? Surrey must be an interesting place :lol:
    :lol:

Really though after ditching my sram this year for basic shimano stuff i'd never consider going back.
  • SRAM bottom brackets are a bit sh1t compared to Shimano. The X0 cranks come with the same Truvativ chainring as my descendant cranks which is ok, not lasting as well as my Renthal rings.
    I have seen a X0 DH crank snap on a fairly small (4'ish) drop and tear a big hole in the riders leg.
  • Surely if something is sold as a DH crank from a huge company like that it must be fit for purpose, no?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 4ft drop wouldn't have broke it - probably the huge crash just before, or the wonky 20 footer!
  • New cranks that day. Manufacturing fault I guess.
    It was on Ben Deakins new Specialized Demo race bike, first time out on it. Big discussion about it on the Southern Downhill forum after the incident at the FoD race in January. I happened to be sat by the track watching when the pro's did their second race run in the spot where it broke. It went with a loud crack and he managed to ride it out, even tried to put his foot on a pedal which was no longer there. The break was very sharp and tore a big hole in his leg.
    I don't think the X0 carbon DH cranks are all that light anyway, I would go with Saint or Descendants.