Method used by fitters to establish amount of saddle setback

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
How do they do it ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• on my fitting they put a plumb line on the front of my knee and moved the seat back until the line passed through the ball of my foot with the crank horizontal to the road and my foot 'forwards'.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Check out the master of bike fitting- Steve Hogg...

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... oad-bikes/
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • on my fitting they put a plumb line on the front of my knee and moved the seat back until the line passed through the ball of my foot with the crank horizontal to the road and my foot 'forwards'.

That's called KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) and it's a load of rubbish. Many (most?) riders prefer to be slightly in front of or behind KOPS.

Steve Hogg's criticism of KOPS sounds reasonable although I'm reluctant to listen to anything he says as he has some very weird ideas.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    on my fitting they put a plumb line on the front of my knee and moved the seat back until the line passed through the ball of my foot with the crank horizontal to the road and my foot 'forwards'.

That's called KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) and it's a load of rubbish. Many (most?) riders prefer to be slightly in front of or behind KOPS.
    Nothing wrong with KOPS as a starting point. As you just said "Many (most?) riders prefer to be slightly in front of or behind KOPS." I would suggest that means it is not too far off.