Tyre Advice

dukepaulus
dukepaulus Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Apologies if I'm asking something that's been asked many times before.
I'm new to mountain biking and have recently been bought a Specialized Rockhopper.
Now that I've got to the bottom of a clicking noise in the crank area I'm looking at replacing the tyres and would like to go for something a bit fatter than the ones that are on it.
I'm looking for a general all-rounder and am considering the Continental X King or Mountain King in a 2.2inch width.
My questions are these.....
I've heard that tyres for mountain bikes are front and rear specific, is this generally true or will either of my choices be ok fitted as a pair?
Will I need to get size specific tubes for the larger tyres? I've read the posting by Jawa about Maxxis tyres and believe that the tubes I have should be ok but just want to be sure.
Any advice will be welcomed.
Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your tubes should be fine. Some tyres are specific, others are not - it will say on them.

If going for continental, make sure they are the black chilli versions for the superior grip.
  • Apologies if I'm asking something which has already been answered many times before.
    I'm relatively new to mountain biking and have been given a Specialized Rockhopper as a gift.
    I want to change the tyres for some wider ones. The tyres on the bike are 1.95 inch and I'm looking to change to Continental X Kings or Mountain Kings.
    Are these a good choice for all-rounders?
    I've heard that mountain bike tyres are front and rear specific. Is that generally true or can I fit either choice as a pair?
    Will I need size specific inner tubes? I've read Jawa's posting about tubes for Maxxis Minions and think my current tubes will be ok but just need to be sure?
    Thank you.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    Try a set of Maxxis Beaver, they're new in the range.......... that way I know whether to purchase or not :D
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive been using the Bontrager XR4 Team Issue (new 2012 ones) for a couple of weeks now and they continue to impress. They really are all rounders. Possibly too aggressive if you want to ride much road, but off road they are great. I'd seriously consider a set, especially as you can get them for sub £20 online. They are big though, a 2.2 is going to be massive compared to your 1.95s (which IMHO is a good thing).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I'm a big fan of Continental mountain King 2 tyres, in the black chilli compound. However, they do struggle a bit on certain types of wet rock. However, they roll incredibly quickly, and grip well on very nearly everything.
    I have it on good faith that the Rubber Queen tyres are a better "all rounder" than the mountain kings, because they use a slightly softer compound mix, and won't suffer as much on those slippery wet rock surfaces.

However, I'd certainly suggest sticking to the black chilli compound, whatever continental tyres you go for.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Yeehaa - for marathon/xc type riding with a little trail riding thrown in only now and then would you recommend 2.2 rear and 2.4 front of 2.2 all round (based on the mountain king ii black chilli recommendation)?
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Dubcat wrote:
    Yeehaa - for marathon/xc type riding with a little trail riding thrown in only now and then would you recommend 2.2 rear and 2.4 front of 2.2 all round (based on the mountain king ii black chilli recommendation)?
    Depends how much you value weight. I went for the 2.2 front and rear specifically to do the Llandegla 10-hour enduro (where, Ironically, I found the only trail I've ridden where the mountain kings are not so hot, is... Llandegla in the wet :lol: ).
    I've been riding them on pretty much everything apart from DH since, and I've been fine. However, if I was to buy a set of tyres for "normal" riding, I may well have gone for 2.4s front and back.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    i have a set of mud-x tyres for winter. I have been using the tyres that came with my rockhopper during drier weather (specialized fastrac) but the rear has a gash in it now. I need something for the london to brighton off road so will probably go for the 2.2 size on the rear (that's the tyre with the gash). Debating whether to get a new front ...
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito