Cycling in the sweet spot

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I know that we have sections for ride reports and vidoes of your commute, but this little bit fits neither.

http://youtu.be/7Ke2R4TJauA?hd=1

From yesterday (1st September) when I was on the last bit of the 100Km loop, I caught a Golden moment, and for a change I realised at the time.

It was just a sublime few minutes riding down off the ridge into the valley and just.... loving it.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• What part of the world is that? Looks nice and car-free.
  • It's called Long Lane and starts at a village called Alkmonton. It's in Derbyshire and right at the southern tip of the Peak District. I was cycling back from Parsley Hay which is about 6 miles south of Buxton (coming back down the Tissington Trail to Ashbourne and then back lanes to where the vid starts)

It is a very low traffic area which is why I picked it, you can just bimble along and enjoy being out on the roads.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • You ruined what had the potential to be a really good ride by turning off about a quarter of a mile too early. A bit further and you could have stopped off at that pub. Can't remember it's name but it's about as big as DDD.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • You ruined what had the potential to be a really good ride by turning off about a quarter of a mile too early. A bit further and you could have stopped off at that pub. Can't remember it's name but it's about as big as DDD.

I know the pub and it's a fine one. Been there a few times, but the turn I take through the village takes you onto some of the best roads to cycle along.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Presumably this golden moment occurred just before you wanted to fart? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

I was just sitting here waiting for that comment :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

I was just sitting here waiting for that comment :P

Or was the golden moment that brief moment when you thought you could pass the chamois fart thread off as a joke? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......

• I know the pub and it's a fine one.

Please tell us the name of the pub. I can't do my joke unless you do.....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Superb. I rode that same road on my trip to & from Leics to Rochdale + return last week; recognised the barn near the start and then the various side roads & slots off to farms & out of the way houses. You caught me out towards the end as I was expecting you to slot right back towards the main road on the NCN route but you carried on instead to the next right.

I've done that whole section between Hatton and Ashbourne a few times now and it still seems almost like a time warp, a collection of empty rural lanes buried between surrounding trunk roads & dual c/ways, bearing old farm houses, a village with a proper duck pond and hamlets from days of old but with Beemers and Golf GTi type cars parked outside and old fellas on bikes layed down with sacks walking up hills. In my world it comes after a 30-odd mile trek up on through Bosworth and Burton and is followed by Ashbourne and a selection of main roads either to Buxton or Leek, and the reverse coming back. It's a quite incredible part of my route up to the in-laws, really quite wonderful. England as it should be. I love that bit either because it's well into the journey up and is now well outside of my home turf, or it's three parts of the way back to the farm and I've cracked the run home.

Now look. I'm tempted to phone in sick tomorrow and pop up to visit the in-laws instead.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited September 2012
    and the weather is even better today.... you know you want to :)

(and if you want to know a better route, i.e. the way I went rather than that long boring road to Hatton I can give you directions... a VERY much nicer route)

and if you remember I did say not to cycle on the A515 to Ashbourne :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X

• I know the pub and it's a fine one.

Please tell us the name of the pub. I can't do my joke unless you do.....

You mean the Ostrich....

http://goo.gl/maps/Ndepv
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • A bit further and you could have stopped off at that pub. Can't remember it's name but it's about as big as DDD.

You mean the Ostrich....

http://goo.gl/maps/Ndepv

That'll be the one, and just like DDD, they are both Ostrich-sized :roll: except that as of this morning it would appear that DDD is no longer ostracised :oops:
  • I always though "The Sweet Spot" was timing an incline just right so your cadence never drops and you barely drop speed.
  • I always though "The Sweet Spot" was timing an incline just right so your cadence never drops and you barely drop speed.

Which is pretty much what happened - for 2 miles.

That and chasing my shadow, the tailwind, the view, the road.

These things don't happen often, and to be honest it's almost the entire reason why I bought my helmet camera.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X