Test commute..the results

bluedoggy
bluedoggy Posts: 285
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Well idid a test commute from Frome to Bath today and i was pleasantly surprised how well and easy..ish it was!
Its not the easiest of rides because of the hills but i must be fitter than first thought?
Basically this is my first ride on my new Wilier. not ridden in 20 years. I do a bit of running so i suppose that has got my fitness levels up.

Firstly i got kitted out with everything i needed and more from good quality bibs and shirts to Maxx D lights etc etc etc.
This is how i started the ride...

It was a 27 mile round trip and logged on Strava
http://app.strava.com/rides/20438414
http://app.strava.com/rides/20444670

Had breakfast with toast and cornflakes. Put some orange squash in my bottle but only half full.
Got on the bike. Wife takes snaps just incase its the last. Start Strava and away...
Pretty much a steady pace all the way to Bath until i get to Brasskocker hill.... but no way i'm going up there! Go the slightly longer hill but not as steep a bit further towards the American museum. Really was nervous of this hill because this would be the deal breaker for me, because if i couldn't do it or hated it i would not commute! I did it with relative ease. Hard but sort of enjoyed it in a weird way?
Got to the top and then it was all the way down into Bath down a very fast long hill. First thing i noticed was ridding down a hill was harder than i thought. It really gave my hands a bit of pain because off braking. I suppose my muscles are not used to it. Got into Bath and had a nice coffee in Cafe Nero's with ots of people giving my Iozard the 2nd look. Had a few women look at my crotch which was funny!!
Coffee was downed, got on the Wilier and headed up Widcombe hill! I was scared of this hill but i had to give it a go! was pretty good up most of it but started to feel tired near the top. But i did it!
Going home was harder not because of the peddling but because of my Neck, ares and hands. The last 2 miles i felt i lost energy and it was hard. I ran out of water and had no energy foods.
Got home and had a real hunger for food and water!
Ultimatley......i loved it!

Just need some advice on energy, neck and hand pain! Can deal with the arse with cream!
Also an easier way home instead of Widcombe hill?
Wilier cento uno.

Comments

• Oh, average speed was 12.6mph. 37.1mph max speed. Going to Bath. Bit slower coming back.
    Wilier cento uno.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Bluedoggy wrote:
    Just need some advice on energy, neck and hand pain!
    Relax! If you death-grip the bars, you'll get sore hands and wrists ;) Another is to use fresh orange in the bottle instead of squash, it's a better isotonic and has more energy. Consider a second bottle too.

Sounds like a good first ride though, well done.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Bluedoggy wrote:
    Relax! If you death-grip the bars, you'll get sore hands and wrists ;) Another is to use fresh orange in the bottle instead of squash, it's a better isotonic and has more energy. Consider a second bottle too.

Thanks fella!
    I'll try the fresh orange. What about these gells? Do they work?
    Wilier cento uno.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They do, but so does a banana, cereal bar, bag of nuts and raisins or almost anything over that sort of distance.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Nicely done. I loved having a commute of that length. (about 32 miles each day)

As for energy, we're all different, but if you want to benefit from your breakfast, you need to leave enough time before setting off. An hour to an hour-and-a-half is what I've always seen quoted. Always porridge or oats and milk for me, but whatever you prefer. On the other hand, you could skip breakfast. Some people prefer to do this as a means of losing weight, and you should be able to do anything under an hour in duration without. I prefer to make a recovery shake of protein powder, powdered oats and a 1:1 mix of dextrose and maltodextrin, when I get there; that works for me, particularly for keeping me going for the commute home and of course the rest of the week.

If your hands are hurting, it could be your gloves. I've been using Specialized BG mitts for over 7 years now and they have padding that's supposed to shield the ulnar nerve. Whether or not they work I can't say, but I don't like using unpadded gloves.

But keep going! You'll get faster and stronger, which is always nice.
  • Bluedoggy wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Bluedoggy wrote:

Thanks fella!
    I'll try the fresh orange. What about these gells? Do they work?

Gels do work, but they are for long distances. Like I said, you shouldn't need anything during either leg. I wouldn't even bother with the orange. Have a banana or something mid afternoon and you should be well set up for the journey home.
  • Nicely done. I loved having a commute of that length. (about 32 miles each day)

As for energy, we're all different, but if you want to benefit from your breakfast, you need to leave enough time before setting off. An hour to an hour-and-a-half is what I've always seen quoted. Always porridge or oats and milk for me, but whatever you prefer. On the other hand, you could skip breakfast. Some people prefer to do this as a means of losing weight, and you should be able to do anything under an hour in duration without. I prefer to make a recovery shake of protein powder, powdered oats and a 1:1 mix of dextrose and maltodextrin, when I get there; that works for me, particularly for keeping me going for the commute home and of course the rest of the week.

If your hands are hurting, it could be your gloves. I've been using Specialized BG mitts for over 7 years now and they have padding that's supposed to shield the ulnar nerve. Whether or not they work I can't say, but I don't like using unpadded gloves.

But keep going! You'll get faster and stronger, which is always nice.

I am trying to loose weight. I'm not fat but I have a bit of a little tummy going on due too...vino.
    I've lost 6 pounds already through a balanced diet running. I never feel hungry the first hour of getting up. Only when at work.
    What do you mean by 'recovery'

I have endura gel gloves that where quite expensive. They don't get sore but 'ache'

Will cycling make a difference to my weight if I commute regularly?
    Wilier cento uno.
  • I'll leave the details to the sports scientists (hopefully I'm not totally wrong!), but recovery is the period following intense exercise, during which your body recuperates. Immediately afterward your body is more receptive; hence athletes will commonly have a protein shake following a workout to drive protein into the muscles, which are broken down by intense exercise. Carbs are also necessary, and a big shot of simple sugars will trigger insulin, causing them to be stored to replenish muscle glycogen. Or so I've read; as said I'm not a sports scientist. Anyway, it really works, and definitely keeps me from wanting to eat lunch at 10am!

Gloves-wise, I daresay that those are good. Your tolerance will build, but if you're still having trouble you could try replacing the bar tape. For reference, some pros use two or three layers; there's no shame in wanting to be comfortable!

As for weight loss, if my experience is anything to go by you can expect to lose some weight if you're pushing yourself (I can't see why you'd go that distance at a relaxed pace as it would take ages, but I'm guessing that people do...). I haven't been able to cycle much at all lately, let alone regularly, and have gained a couple of kilos. Not a great deal, but noticeable.
  • The shake you have, what brand is it and does it taste like sh*t?
    Wilier cento uno.
  • I make it up from bulk powders from MyProtein, which is a lot cheaper than most pre-mixed options (it comes out at 25p per shake or something). I don't think it tastes all that bad. Basically slightly sickly sweet liquid porridge made with milk, which is moreorless what it is. It's hard for me to be objective, because if I've worked hard enough to need it, it tastes like the best thing in the world!!
  • bails87 wrote:
    They do, but so does a banana, cereal bar, bag of nuts and raisins or almost anything over that sort of distance.

Will try raisins! Can't stand nana's:(
    Wilier cento uno.
  • My arse hurts MORE today. Is this to be expected?
    Wilier cento uno.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Don't over-analyse it. It is a 15 mile ride twice a day. These are short rides individually - it's only really getting used to it 5 days a week that's the issue but once you've trained your body to do it every day, then you'll be able to do it every day. And without really doing anything special in prep.

Basically, for similar sorts of distance I eat in the same way that I do on days when I don't cycle.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Don't over-analyse it. It is a 15 mile ride twice a day. These are short rides individually - it's only really getting used to it 5 days a week that's the issue but once you've trained your body to do it every day, then you'll be able to do it every day. And without really doing anything special in prep.

Basically, for similar sorts of distance I eat in the same way that I do on days when I don't cycle.

Yeah your probably right. I eat sort of sensibly.
    To me 30 miles a day is lot 3 times a week! I will push myself when I do them in the hope I will loose weight and build up my stamina.
    Will it get easier with time and will I actually loose weight?
    Wilier cento uno.