Coughing Up Blood - can it be overdoing it?

mystic.bertie
mystic.bertie Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
i started cycling to work about 6 weeks ago, i had not cycled much till then, then bought my first road bike 4 weeks ago, im doing 25 miles a day and i do push myself when cycling, i work 4 days a week so Monday to Thursday its 100 mile. I was jogging often up until june and could do 5 mile ok and 6 at a push. I have not been jogging since june though.

so i did my 100 miles over 4 days this week, no exercise on Friday, i went a jog at 5pm this evening and i was really out of breath within the first mile and then i started coughing and there was blood amongst it, not pure blood but it was noticeable enough.

any suggestions what this could be, i was really struggling with the jogging, am i doing too much?

Comments

• Smoker?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bleeding gums?
    More problems but still living....
  • Why you ask people on a cycling forum while you should clearly ask your GP?
    left the forum March 2023
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Why you ask people on a cycling forum while you should clearly ask your GP?

THIS
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Yes, go and see a medical professional; don't rely on the counsel of anybody on the internet!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I googled some symptoms I had once, it said I was dead.
  • Won't get to the docs till Monday and god forbid I asked a question which other fitnrss fans might have experienced. But for now I was hoping the more helpful forum folks could offer some insight. I'm not a smoker and its coming up when I cough only.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    You might just be overdoing it, but coughing up blood is never good.

See a doctor, or at least ring NHS direct so they can tell you to go and see a doctor.

If you don't think it can wait then ring your GP (or see if they have a website). They will usually have an out of hours service and might be able to see you tomorrow or give you some advice until Monday.
  • Won't get to the docs till Monday and god forbid I asked a question which other fitnrss fans might have experienced. But for now I was hoping the more helpful forum folks could offer some insight. I'm not a smoker and its coming up when I cough only.
    I think the best advice anyone has given you is to CALL OR GO SEE A DOCTOR. How is anyone (a doctor even) supposed to diagnose your condition and advise over the internet. It could be many different things from minor to fatal. Only a fool would rely on such advise.
  • Why not give NHS Direct a call on 0845 4647?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    you should go to a minor injuries unit, if you got other symtoms ie fever, breathless - i once started coughing up blood and a day later was diagnosed with Pnuemonia - otherwise wait and go to your doctors, anybody elses experiences on here wont be yours, so a waste of time asking. Google "coughing up blood during excercise" if you want to get some real answers :)
  • Like everyone else had said... Docs is the best place to go! Do u smoke?
    It's been a while...
  • Thanks for the replies guys, ill call NHS direct tomorrow, I had to take the kids to the cinema tonight so never got the chance to call them tonight. When I get home I'm going to bed. I still feel chest pain when I take a deep breath. Will see what NHS direct say.
    Oh and no I don't smoke but do drink more than the recommended amount of alcohol.
  • .......but do drink more than the recommended amount of alcohol.

Who doesn't! :D
    Hope it's nothing serious!
    It's been a while...
  • Book into the doctors. Before you go see the receptionist and get a sputum dish, next time you cough up blood save it for the docs they can do tests.

It could be busted vessel through over doing it... it could be cancer. In my case it was the later.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    OP, I hope you've woken up....... Now call NHS Direct.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    if i were coughing up blood i'd go direct to a&e

my old boss started couging up blood, not sure how long he waited before seeing the doctor but by the time he did it was life threatening, turned out to be a burst blood vessel in his lung
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Oh and blood in lung can result in in an infection leading to pneumonia. The lung fills with puss and 'technically collapses'.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • thanks for all the replies guys, i phoned NHS 24 which is the Scotland service, gave the call handler all the details so im now waiting on a nurse calling me back to assist me in the next few hours. Today i feel a bit of pain on my chest when i take a really deep breath. I would go to A&E but my car is off the road. Ill see what the nurse says when they call back.

will let you know the outcome

my dad had angina so i looked it up - Angina is often brought on by physical activity, an emotional upset, cold weather or after a meal. Symptoms usually subside after a few minutes. Happy days (not) :shock:
  • i got a call back from the nurse, i now have an appointment for 2.30pm to see the out of hours doctor, ill get the bus there rather than cycle lol.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    i got a call back from the nurse, i now have an appointment for 2.30pm to see the out of hours doctor, ill get the bus there rather than cycle lol.
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    i got a call back from the nurse, i now have an appointment for 2.30pm to see the out of hours doctor, ill get the bus there rather than cycle lol.
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Seconded!
  • Do you cough a few times before you notice any blood? I had symptoms like this before. In my case the coughing strained/ruptured tissue in throat causing the "very small" amount of blood.

As all things like these need to see a quack. Lots of things can have similar symptoms but hugely different outcomes. Sore throat <death
  • Why you ask people on a cycling forum while you should clearly ask your GP?

+1
  • guys thanks for all your support, the doctor gave me a good checking over and everything is ok, she thinks it just been a burst blood vessel internally, if it had been clumps of blood then thats something to worry about but as it was mixed through flem it is not as serious. I could be down to over doing it but she said the reason i get a pain when i take a deep breath is there may be inflamation and when my lungs fill up they are pressing against the inflamation causing the chest pains. So no medication, just take it easy and keep an eye on it. SO i should be ok to cycle to work and back but ill not jog for the mean time. :mrgreen:

im so glad its nothing major :D:D:D
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Well I'd certainly take it easy over the next few days. Give time for the inflammation to sort itself out.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    Well I'd certainly take it easy over the next few days. Give time for the inflammation to sort itself out.

yeah ill be taking it easy. probably once the chest pain goes it will be a good sign of the inflamation going down. :D
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Pleased its sorted and nothing too serious
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Pleased its sorted and nothing too serious

thanks, did my 25 mile commute today with no problem, i just did not push myself as hard and eased off if i was getting out of breath but all seems ok im glad to say :D