Riding on underinflated tires

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
My road bike tires haven't been pumped for a few weeks - far from flat, but not as rock solid as they are when properly inflated. I need to pick up a pump for them. Probably a stupid question - but I shouldn't damage the wheels in the course of riding to collect the pump..?

I'm used to a mountainbike with big, chunky wheels, and somehow the slim ones on the road bike look fragile :)

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Just like on a mountain bike, watch out for pinch flats and hitting the rims when you go over potholes.

Also like on a mountain bike if they get too low it affects the steering and handling.

You'll probably be fine.
  • Unless you go over anything really horrible (and you should avoid doing this even when your tyres are up to pressure!), you shouldn't damage the wheel. In addition to the puncture vulnerability it's not good for your tyres, and rolling resistance is increased. That's not to say that you shouldn't ride with lower tyre pressure - there is a place for it - but not in general use.

Just get a good track pump and something to take out with you. I have a Specialized Air Tool Sport, and it's excellent; typical Spesh. :)
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Thanks. Actually riding to collect track pump :) Thought better of it today - weather rubbish - but will collect ASAP.