Got my bike, now need confidence on the road

Brisk
Brisk Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
well i got my specialized hardrock sport yesterday, very pleased with it. So much lighter and easier to use than my old saracen full sus.

I had totaly forgot how daunting it can be riding on the road though, especially if you are wanting to go right on a roundabout (well any sort of right turn). Suppose it's just something you need to get used to.
Does anyone know the law for riding on a dual carriageway as i can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere?

Gonna buy some lights and cycle computer today for my new baby. Oh and i've called her Cheryl!

Comments

• Daunting, isn't it?

You can legally ride on any dual carriageway that doesn't have 'M' in its name, eg the A1 but not the A1(M).

TBH I wouldn't want to ride on dual carriageway anyway - are there any alternative routes using quieter roads? Sometimes when a dual carriageway is built the older, narrower road it replaces is left in place to 'decay gracefully'.

Good luck!
  • Do me favour. I think it's a case of MTFU I'm afraid or maybe do some kind of course. I remember doing a cycling proficiency test when I was very, very young back in the early 80's..maybe look into doing that if you really find it daunting.

Nothing more dangerous than a nervous road user (in/on any vehicle)..will he go, wont he go...smash! :(
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Do me favour. I think it's a case of MTFU I'm afraid or maybe do some kind of course. I remember doing a cycling proficiency test when I was very, very young back in the early 80's..maybe look into doing that if you really find it daunting.

Nothing more dangerous than a nervous road user (in/on any vehicle)..will he go, wont he go...smash! :(
    Cycling proficiency is rubbish though. IT's pretty much "keep left, stay out of the way, do that flappy arm thing when you want to slow down".

OP: Read Cyclecraft by John Franklin. Or read these mini-guide things from British Cycling: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/ ... Riding.pdf

Be confident, be clear in your signals, signal well ahead of any turn, especially if you're going right. If you're going round a roundabout go round as if you were in a car, that's safer than going round the edge and being in the 'danger zone' of every single exit. Don't expect cycle lanes to keep you safe, it's just a bit of paint. Stay the f*** away from HGVs/Buses etc. Do not go down the side of them if they're indicating in that direction, don't even go down the side of them if they're not indicating!

Look at the size of a lorry's blind spots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzL0Kyk4m-8

Most drivers are sane, they don't want to kill you. If they can see where you are and where you want to go they'll avoid you.

Edit: Your local council might offer free or cheap bikeability training. I'd seriously suggest this. It could genuinely be a lifesaver.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kerguelen wrote:
    Daunting, isn't it?

You can legally ride on any dual carriageway that doesn't have 'M' in its name
    Unless it's signed that cyclists etc are not allowed.
  • Be confident and claim the road - if in doubt position yourself as if you are a car not a bike - claim the entire lane and make the cars slow to your speed, in heavily built up areas your best bet is often to check for gaps in traffic behind you and give a kick of speed as you move to position for a right turn - that way you get out into the gap easily.

For roundabouts you definitely want to position yourself as if you are a car, approach at a controlled, slowish speed, looking for the gaps and then giv'er when it appears, your worst position is to be stationary at a roundabout entrance and if you are you are going to want to go faster than Chris Hoy at the start of a sprint race.

Signal clearly as you can but I find that signalling vs carrying speed and being very positive about what you are doing is a fine balance.

I have ridden in London a fair bit and aside from one taxi driver who threatened me with a tyre iron when I called him a c*** for trying to drive me into a parked car those tactics have served me well.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • This could well be the one and only use for the "commuting" forum.
  • This could well be the one and only use for the "commuting" forum.

:lol: indeed!!

Trek Session 8
  • Isn't the whole point of mountain bikes that you don't need a road?
    Road riding is far too dangerous for me. Quite like a good road gap jump though.
  • Brisk
    Brisk Posts: 12
    cheers for that advice on roundabouts.
    Sorry for posting in the wrong part, didn't realise there was a commuting part as i just have this one bookmarked on my phone.
    Can see your point rockmonkey about mountain bikes but i would never have a road bike, just don't like them and would like to go down a trail if i feel the mood takes me.

Went on another ride tonight, just 9 mile and felt loads betteron the road. 2 things i need to invest in though are some cycling shorts as i have ripped my tracksuit bottoms on something on the underside of the frame, will see what in the morning.

And definately need a decent front light because i could barely see a thing with the useless one i bought today when riding without street lights on.
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    Brisk wrote:
    And definitely need a decent front light because i could barely see a thing with the useless one i bought today when riding without street lights on.

If you have a look at the (extremely long) lights thread you'll be totally baffled, but there are a few decent suggestions on there.
  • I'd offer, make sure you look pulling out drivers in the eye, and don't believe indicators, look at what the wheels are doing.
  • andhr wrote:
    Brisk wrote:
    And definitely need a decent front light because i could barely see a thing with the useless one i bought today when riding without street lights on.

If you have a look at the (extremely long) lights thread you'll be totally baffled, but there are a few decent suggestions on there.

Not going to get involved in that ridiculously long thread..which I presume is more aimed towards off-road night riding where I guess you need some serious illumination!

But if you want an excellent pocket torch that doubles as a super bright bike light - look no further than this;

LED Lenser P7;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-8407-Torch-Gift-Black/dp/B0018O7UAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346578352&sr=8-1
    41aP-EfK0GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My only use for it on the bike is pub runs in autumn & spring and it's excellent. Don't forget the bike mount for an extra £6

Trek Session 8
  • That's the same kind of torch that is recommended in that black hole of a thread, essentially, except the one you linked to is far more expensive.
    I got two of those, 4 batteries, a charger and handlebar mounts from dealextreme for that price.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That's the same kind of torch that is recommended in that black hole of a thread, essentially, except the one you linked to is far more expensive.
    I got two of those, 4 batteries, a charger and handlebar mounts from dealextreme for that price.
    And it's just called a P7, it doesn't actually have a P7 emitter, it has an older, weaker one.

Whether off road biased lights are appropriate for road riding depends on the roads. I commute down lots of unlit, virtually traffic free country lanes, and busier unlit country roads. On those the Magicshine is great. I wouldn't want to use it too much for pottering around town though, I'm aware it's very bright, it's not too bad if it's angled down though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • That's the same kind of torch that is recommended in that black hole of a thread, essentially, except the one you linked to is far more expensive.

I bet yours isn't (alright, aren't :x ) made of 'Aircraft Grade Aluminium' - and they definitely didn't come with a nylon carrying pouch!

and I paid about £50 for mine a couple of years back

Trek Session 8