New Backpack, pump, tools needed

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Some thieving numb nut stole my camelback today so I need a replacement along with some tools.

I had a 10 year old camelback - whats similar? Wouldnt mind a little more carry space and tool organisers - new Mule looks like it has these - or Evoc FR Enduro maybe? Any others recommended?

I had a toppeak master blaster I think - cant remember to be honest but need a decent similar trail side pump - was happy with my top peak in general.

Multitool - my old one was a freebie or cheap as with basic tools on, I had a seperate chain breaker and a pen knife. Think I will stick with the separate chain breaker so basic multitool needed too.

Go!
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• OK Evoc is twice price of the Mule - so Mule or something of equivalent monetary value!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • i've been using a dakine nomad for the last 2 years. It's been great. had plenty of crashes and muddy rides and it still looks like new. Plenty of space for tools/spares/food/extra layer etc. Not the cheapest, but well worth the money. if your after a bit more space look at the dakine apex as well.
  • I've got a Camelbak Consigliere;

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Consigliere-70-Hydration-Pack/dp/B00437Z8S0
    41gMxKMpjWL._AA300_.jpg

I think it's great. Nice and compact. You can get a full face lid and armour on it and think it's meant to have a 2l bladder but I've put a 1.5l as there's so much running water 'round me there's no need to carry more than that at once.

Also would recomment the Topeak Morph Mountain Pump;

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Mountain-M ... ntain+Pump
    312MTS3MGPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kinda mid-sized but great pump and much prefer it to one of those mini-pumps...fits in the pack nicely so all good 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Been happy with my mule, think it's 3L of water it takes which is more than enough. Storage wise, easily fit pump, couple of tubes if you want, think there's some duct tape at the bottom of mine which probably takes a bit of space up. Can fit GoPro and the chesty mount in there too if I decide I don't want to wear it. Also room for a waterproof. If I try to fit much more than that in though the shape of it starts to go and it's not brilliantly comfortable. There is a kind of pocket kind of thing on the outside that's expandable with some straps, can always chuck the waterproof there and stuff more in the main section.

The other pocked takes my tools, brake pads etc. It's got a couple of little organisers within it so if you've got little bits you can put them in there so they're not lost.

Phone pocked on top which is slightly padded (the pocket itself sits between the water bladder and the main compartment so the phone is plenty safe) and has a soft lining so as not to scratch the screen

My only other gripe is the waist strap, it's fecking massive. It's like they think all mountain bikers are middle aged fat blokes. To try and tighten it enough for me I end up with loads of excess strap flapping around, you can try and tuck it away but somehow it always comes loose and pisses me off. Thinking about it though I guess I could get to work with a pair of scissors :lol:
  • Recently got a mule for my birthday from my 2 year old (bless) it replace my cheap decathlon thing. I must say that you can't fault it, plenty of storage and the quick release connector is very handy
  • mb london wrote:
    Recently got a mule for my birthday from my 2 year old (bless) it replace my cheap decathlon thing. I must say that you can't fault it, plenty of storage and the quick release connector is very handy

If you have a look on the decathlon website, they have some really good value for money packs on there.
    2013 Cube Analog
    2011 GT aggressor - For sale
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Angry Bird wrote:
    My only other gripe is the waist strap, it's fecking massive. It's like they think all mountain bikers are middle aged fat blokes. To try and tighten it enough for me I end up with loads of excess strap flapping around, you can try and tuck it away but somehow it always comes loose and pisses me off. Thinking about it though I guess I could get to work with a pair of scissors :lol:

Just cut off the excess and burn/melt the end of it with a lighter 8)