Triban 5 B'Twin

Comments

• Personally, I think you're lying! :wink:

Why? I don't know but something doesn't add up. :roll:[/quote]

Personally I think that you don't know what you're talking about cos it's my bike that has the problem, even if yours doesn't it doesn't mean that it must be a lie. And what would be the point of lying anyway, to spread bad rumours about the bike? No. And why would I do it if I worked for halfords which I don't because B'twin would then be able to sue them, and why would they have accepted my review on the Decathlon website if I hadn't bought one?
  • Personally, I think you're lying! :wink:

Why? I don't know but something doesn't add up. :roll:
    Personally I think that you don't know what you're talking about cos it's my bike that has the problem, even if yours doesn't it doesn't mean that it must be a lie. And what would be the point of lying anyway, to spread bad rumours about the bike? No. And why would I do it if I worked for halfords which I don't because B'twin would then be able to sue them, and why would they have accepted my review on the Decathlon website if I hadn't bought one?
    [/quote]

Try some Ritalin :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Thankfully I don't have ADHD not sure about yourself
  • 'The brakes were all but useless striaght away and then during my first ride the chain broke and had to wait for it to stop by itself as the brakes had stopped working. After i had paid to have them both fixed i went out again and they were fine for about a month but after that the gearing broke during a ride on a flat and smooth road surface. My advice do not buy this bike it is the worst that i have ever ridden'

doesnt add up, by his own words from the decathlon website, a site where anyone can post, he claims about a month after his original issues....now his original issues would have taken about a week, more like two, to sort out as he clearly had a word or three with decathlon before admitting defeat and booking into his lbs, who would have wanted at least a week :shock:

he has then had another month of usage before succumbing to further defects - he posted his comments on decathlons t5a review, he must have bought the bike at the end of february, about 2 weeks before the bike came to market :roll:

he claims he lives in southampton, uk yet clearly states..during a ride on a flat and smooth road surface..total lies, there are none in the uk, we are too busy funding belgian chocolate twiners or greek feta pounders to pay for smooth roads

ryan pal, youve just been 'columbo'd'
  • Firstly I don't know if you've ever been to southampton but its what's called a city and because of the port the road infrastructure is good and all the roads are well maintained and so are smooth and flat, secondly I got the bike from the store 4 days after it release and it broke the next day so I took it in straight away and when it became apparent they weren't going to fix it (4 days later) I took it straight to bicycle world in ferndown dorset where I know some of the staff and they were able to get the bike back to me 2 days later it was then halfway through April when the gears broke an since then I bought a brilliant Forme Longcliffe 3.0 from bicycle world which has no faults yet so suck on that
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Hahahahahahahaha. Well as I left the reception I was attending in Charlotte Place last night, you'd have seen me on the 6th floor roof terrace with canapes and drink in hand, I rode down Northam Road, one of the main arterial routes in the city with the "good infrastructure" and found the civil engineering equivalent of the measles on the rail crossing and down to the Britannia Road junction. Perhaps you'd like to pop that little nugget in the "well maintained" basket and pass it on to the Highways Department. In fact, because of the port (oh, that's one of my clients!) the road surface is a fucking disaster because of the significant volume of container lorry traffic that pounds it.

You're a troll. A very embarrassing troll at that. If you're going to make shit up then at least make it a little credible.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Don't call me a troll i find it offensive as i was just trying to find out whether anyone else had the problems i've had and since when was a Wilier Izoard Centaur a B'twin Triban 5? You may have a nice bike but it seems you've clicked on the wrong forum. And anyway i live on the other side of the itchen to that near the B3033 and the roads are not similar at all to what you have described over here so i think you should go and join a forum that actual relates to your own bike.
  • lostboysaint
    Oh well, best be offended then. Tell you what, I'm just down the road. Why don't we meet up and you can show me all these fantastic roads? PM me and we'll sort it. Trouble is that it sounds like it'd be a mighty short ride if all you're doing is riding up and down one stretch of road.

And you don't have a Triban 5 either, you have a Forme so why are you on here? ;)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    It would be best if RyanMelvinKinch stop complaining on this thread. I have heard your complaint and you are the only one that's made it. I have seen hundreds of Triban 3's been sold, now lots of people who own and ride one yet the venomous complaint that you have voiced here has never been echoed elsewhere. I am not about to call you a liar or a troll but face it mate you are all alone on this one. Care to check out the Triban 3 owners website? Maybe you will get some help there.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • I still have the Triban i just don't use it after what happened and why would i want to go out on a ride with someone who has called me a troll. And whitestar1 i have a Triban 5 not 3 and i wouldn't descirbe it as a venomous complaint just asking if anyone esle has had the same problems which they seem not to so..
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Ryan,

I am not saying you are lying or work for a competitor, the wording of your first post was poorly written and came across as overly negative towards a brand that has a lot of respect on this board. I suggest you take a breath, start again and qualify what you have said. People may have had niggles with their bikes and are generally prepared to offer advice but you will put their back up if you come across in the manner you did initially.

HTH
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Ok I'll break itdown into chunks, firstly after i bought the bike i took it out in the New Forest as i've had experience with road bikes before so aam used to them and it became quite apparent that the brakes were not working well even though it was a brand new bike and not the one I tested in the store, as I went into a lower gear to get up a small gear the pedals went into freewheel and i heard a noise, when i looked down the chain had somehow separated itself and the brakes which i hadnt used for about 15 mins didnt work when i tried them so i went to the southampton store the next day and tried to explain it to a spotty teenager who said he knew what he was talking about, his manner was unlike that of the staff i'd spoken to when i bought it and although he knew what was wrong didnt offer to fix it instead saying that i must have been abusing the bike to make the chain snap and brakes stop, this happened both days when i went in after so i realised it wasnt going to get me anywhere and went to Bicycle World in Ferndown Dorset as i know the staff as ive said previously and got it fixed for free because of that.
  • I used the bike as i'd said for a month after it was fixed and have no complaints about it then as it was like the bike id tried in the store, and i did at least 10 miles a day on it once back from working, unfortunatly though just after i'd started to enjoy myself again the gears stopped working when about 8 miles into my ride and i couldn't figure out why and once again another teengae w/e kid told me the same thing when i went in and so did a full time member of staff so i went back to Ferndown and they told me that this was due to a manufacturing fault so i emailed Decathlon in April and i still havent heard a word, and whilst in Ferndown i saw a 2013 Forme Longcliffe 3.0 and couldn't resist buying it as for all its pluses the b'twin had turmed out to be a bit of a nightmare bike and it is a better bike with 7005 aluminium and Tiagra groupset and the £300 extra definatly makes the differnce. Im not knocking B'twin for any of their other bikes as others seem to inncinuate as i have never tried any as ive always been a Felt person myself
  • lostboysaint
    Are you really still posting?

That's breaking it down into chunks? One paragraph in each post, barely punctuated!

You don't need experience with road bikes to know if the brakes are working, it's fairly obvious is they are slowing you down or not. If it was that obvious that the brakes weren't working then why not stop and adjust them using the multi-tool that you carry in your jersey/seat pack/wherever or, perhaps if you were that worried, abandon the ride?

Talking of which, tell us about the gear change? Full bore/full pressure on the upslope of a hill? Just going up the cassette or changing sprockets at the front? Even a fat bloke like me (very brave of you to post on the other thread!) hasn't managed to part a chain yet so perhaps it's technique and the lad in the shop was right to question you?

If you know the staff in Bicycle World in Ferndown (a shop only ever frequented by most of my Dorset acquaintances if they're desperate for a part on a Sunday when it's one of the few shops that's open) then why didn't you get a bike from them in the first place? Oh, and as you are East of the Itchen, why not drop in to Cycleworld, GA, Hargroves to name but three Southampton bike shops?! You may have saved a couple of quid on mechanics charges but you've spent more in fuel for the car!

Interesting that you've never posted on here before and then just turned up to rant on this particular subject, as well as having a dig at me elsewhere*. Now, as has been said, your story has been noted so give it a rest. Then why not settle in and use and enjoy the rest of the forum.

*I still can't find that PM. Not quite as confident in real life as you are on the net?!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I think you'll find that simondhead asked me to and as I had heard good things about the tribans I decided to try them out and I joined just to try and see if anyone else had any problems and you an others started to question my motives for doing so as shown in the above when I was jut trying to explain it in more detail to someone who actually has some manners and doesn't accuse me of having ADHD etc
  • I'm sorry but the more you post the more you look (and sound) like a fool. Firstly in, my experience, Decathalon fix everything without question every time. I've just taken a pair of ski's back that I've had for 2 years and they replaced them. I haven't had a similar experience with my bike as its never broken. If it had, then the 5 year frame warranty or 2 year parts warranty would kick in. If that failed then I'd sue them.

If you seriously have still got a 500 quid broken bike in your garage that you had only bought a few weeks earlier then you are either (a) being economical with the truth, (b) just plain dumb or (c) all of the above. Most readers of this forum will have already made up their minds as to which one of these apply.

I'll buy it off you for £50 but I'll need the receipt please.

Suggest that you invest more time in going back to the store - you must have wasted hours posting on this and several other sites and as far as I can see you are a lone dissenting voice. Alternatively maybe its just everyone else who is marching out of step ?
  • Firstly in, my experience, Decathalon fix everything without question every time.

That's my experience too.

Tribans aren't perfect, I'm sure no bike is. I've had a couple of problems with mine. The most recent was the bearings went in two different rear wheels, in the space of three weeks. The first time they replaced it with a new B'Twin wheel, there and then, free of charge. When the second went I decided to upgrade to Mavic Aksiums. Again, fitted there and then without an appointment. And the took £35 off the Aksiums. :D
  • Stewpot407
    Stewpot407 Posts: 97
    This thread is hilarious!
    An aging Trek 5500 OCLV
    Not so aging Pina Dogma (AK61)
  • Stewpot407 wrote:
    This thread is hilarious!
    I wouldn't get involved if I were you
  • Mike-H
    Mike-H Posts: 2
    I've just placed my order for a Triban 7, really looking forward to it. After lots of research B'twin's products promise excellent VFM. 8)
  • Mike-H wrote:
    I've just placed my order for a Triban 7, really looking forward to it. After lots of research B'twin's products promise excellent VFM. 8)
    Obviously didn't read this forum
  • Mike-H wrote:
    Obviously didn't read this forum

He obviously did read it, ignored you, and saw sense!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Ryan - i assume thats your name?

Chill out for a while and when you have something useful and productive to say then chip in. You were given the opportunity to substantiate what you had initially posted but instead of giving a reasoned and qualified report you gave as another poorly written diatribe.

As mentioned B-Twin have a solid fanbase on this forum and ok you may have got one slightly iffy one in the thousands sold, however Decathlon in 99% of peoples experience have always been exceptional in their service and if you came across to one of their staff as you have in your post no wonder they told you to jog on.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • I tell you what why don't you all go and f*ck youselves
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I tell you what why don't you all go and f*ck youselves

How very rude, this is not like anything I have seen on this forum before, and I have been looking through it for a long time, it is very inappropriate, I'm going to look at a triban 7 this weekend lol :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I think Ryn has issues bless him!

Mate has just bought a Triban 5 and joined me for a very enjoyable jaunt around the Vale of Belvoir this week.
    He loves it!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • whitestar1
    I'm sorry but the more you post the more you look (and sound) like a fool. Firstly in, my experience, Decathalon fix everything without question every time. I've just taken a pair of ski's back that I've had for 2 years and they replaced them. I haven't had a similar experience with my bike as its never broken. If it had, then the 5 year frame warranty or 2 year parts warranty would kick in. If that failed then I'd sue them.

If you seriously have still got a 500 quid broken bike in your garage that you had only bought a few weeks earlier then you are either (a) being economical with the truth, (b) just plain dumb or (c) all of the above. Most readers of this forum will have already made up their minds as to which one of these apply.

I'll buy it off you for £50 but I'll need the receipt please.

Suggest that you invest more time in going back to the store - you must have wasted hours posting on this and several other sites and as far as I can see you are a lone dissenting voice. Alternatively maybe its just everyone else who is marching out of step ?

I could not have said that better! I just took my RockRider 8.0 in to the store to have the hydraulic brake pads changed. They are the original pads since new and 2400 miles after. They changed them after much trouble and didn't even change me - that's 2 year, 2 months after the purchase date. You are very right about Decathlon service, name one other store that would do that?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    KevChallis wrote:
    I tell you what why don't you all go and f*ck youselves

How very rude, this is not like anything I have seen on this forum before, and I have been looking through it for a long time, it is very inappropriate, I'm going to look at a triban 7 this weekend lol :D

You will love it! Even better check the FC3 if you can match the £850 it is so beautifully shaped.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Mike-H
    Mike-H Posts: 2
    I did read the forum yes, I've also done a great deal or research and have taken everyone's opinion into account. I'm sorry you've had a bad experiences with your B'twin, I truly am but yours is the only negative voice in the sea of positives. So, I've weighed up the good and the bad and the Triban 7 comes up head and shoulders above the competition. The Value for money cannot be matched ! Hope to have it this time next week, if not it will be in 2 weeks time as I'm off on Holiday for a week 8)
  • I researched for months & ended up with a 2013 Triban 5a. Even after all the research, I was still pleasantly surprised at just how good the bike & Decathlon service was! A fantastic introduction into road bikes for me without breaking the bank. The bike has exceeded my expectations on all accounts. Admittedly, I have struggled a little with the transition from a MTB but that's nothing to do with the bike itself- I have now ironed most of these out now via help & advice from this forum. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
This discussion has been closed.