Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

1st Sportive - what to take with me?

lofty102lofty102 Posts: 174
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I've recntly signed up for my 1st sportive (the Otley Sportive) whih is 66 miles long, wat stuff sould i be carrying with me? Obviously i'll be taking spare inner tube, tyre levers, pump, puncture repair kit, multi tool, drinks, food, mobile phone, money. am i missing anything really obvious?(i'll have a bike with me too, before anyone recommends to take one!ha)

Thanks
2010 Mondraker Factor RR
2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
2016 Planet x pro carbon
2017 Scott Spark 730

Posts

  • kayo74kayo74 Posts: 299
    Looks covered to me, nothing else to add. Have fun and enjoy good luck.
  • lofty102lofty102 Posts: 174
    Thanks Kayo, just had a horrible feeling i'd missed someting!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • thecrofterthecrofter Posts: 734
    It's amazing how that kit can expand and multiply over the years, but I think your list covers 95% of eventualities. The other 5% your ride is probably knackered anyway so it's time for the mobile and a lift home.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sunglasses, mittens. Device for getting stones out of horses hooves. In case you come across a horse with a stone in its hoof. Pretty much sorted I think. Gear for hot weather, cold weather, wet weather
  • hipshothipshot Posts: 371
    I snapped a chain on my last sportive: its suprisingly common so a chain tool might be a good idea.

    I dont bother with a repair kit if i'm carrying spare tubes.

    For 66 miles you dont need much food either. Eat well before the ride and use food stops if they're available.
  • lofty102lofty102 Posts: 174
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    There are no food or drinks stops on the ride, so what i carry is what i'll have for the ride. So i was thinking of 2 water bottes, a banana and a couple of energy bars, hopfully that will get me through!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Latex glove
  • mcp73mcp73 Posts: 92
    If your multi-tool doesn't have a chainsplitter, then perhaps take that too. Quick links would be necessary if you are going to cover all bases. I'd suggest a waterproof/windproof packable jacket too. Our climate isn't notable for its lack of precipitation. Energy requirements are different for us all (depending upon metabolism, body mass, experience), but take what you think you'll need for a 66 miler. Have fun and hit those pedals hard!
  • nochekmatenochekmate Posts: 3,460
    mcp73 wrote:
    If your multi-tool doesn't have a chainsplitter, then perhaps take that too. Quick links would be necessary if you are going to cover all bases. I'd suggest a waterproof/windproof packable jacket too. Our climate isn't notable for its lack of precipitation. Energy requirements are different for us all (depending upon metabolism, body mass, experience), but take what you think you'll need for a 66 miler. Have fun and hit those pedals hard!

    Make sure that you take these!

    I once turned up at the Cheshire Cat Sportive and having removed my bike from the car was horrified to discover that it had no pedals on it as I had swapped them over to one of my other bikes :oops: :oops:
  • GATESGATES Posts: 53
    any info on the otley supportive?

    quite interested in it as i only live a few miles away
  • nbuuifxnbuuifx Posts: 296
    Last one I went on that was around that distance I just took a spare tube, as it was an organised event they gave you a number to ring if you had a puncture and a little van would come and swap your tube and do any mechanical maintenance. I guess it would have been a good idea to have some tools but luckily I didn't have any problems.

    Other than that plenty of fluids, have a good breakfast first and you won't need any food over that distance.
Sign In or Register to comment.