Looking for first MTB for XC, and considering AL 7.9

Pozzi
Pozzi Posts: 23
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello all

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2750

I'm currently a road biker, and I'm looking into getting a bike for XC. I've done a bit of research myself, as I wouldn't want to spend more than £1000, and I see people have recommended this bike on the forum. Luckily we have a lot of options locally, off road, and plenty of hills. I'm primarily looking for a lightweight bike, as I love going up hills and won't be using it on overly rough terrain, so just a hardtail. Is this a decent climbing bike for the money, or are there going to be bikes better suited to that, at a similar price? I'm looking at the weight, and it says roughly 12kg, so not going to be much much heavier than my road one at 10kg. I'm looking at the specs, and on my road bike (10kg roughly), I can get up 0.5 KM climbs at 13% with a 34/23, so the 36/22 seems ideal.

I've read a few sites on the issue of 26er versus 29er, and at 1.85cm I think the 29er may be best for me. Essentially, do you think this bike is a pretty good buy for the price, considering what I'm looking for?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All the Canyon's are excellent for the money, the only caveat is that you cannot try them first.

As for size, 29 or 26 will both fit - the frame will dictate that.

Might want to consider this too, has a better fork:

http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ZR ... 20526_.htm
  • Pozzi
    supersonic wrote:
    All the Canyon's are excellent for the money, the only caveat is that you cannot try them first.

As for size, 29 or 26 will both fit - the frame will dictate that.

Might want to consider this too, has a better fork:

http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/ZR ... 20526_.htm

Thank you for the info and that Radon does look a nice option. Do the forks lock out completely, or is there is still a tiny bit of travel when adjusting to the lowest setting?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that I will be using it on some sections of road, as well as grassy/smoother trails, so would be nice if I can get something which will almost lockout for those periods.
  • supersonic
    With Rockshox, when fully locked, the fork has about 10mm of movement. But you can also tune the threshold of lock on the SIDs.
  • Pozzi
    supersonic wrote:
    With Rockshox, when fully locked, the fork has about 10mm of movement. But you can also tune the threshold of lock on the SIDs.

Thank you for your response again :) and sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but is 10mm quite good, when compared with similar forks/priced bikes? Is it likely to be make much difference in speed when on flat terrain, compared to 0 travel? Although that being said, with the state of the roads around here, I often wish I had some travel on my road bike :D

I notice Bike Discount.de is the only store which sells the item, but they are pretty cheap for shipping to UK, it might just take 2-3 weeks :D
  • supersonic
    it works to your advantage, as protects the internals and allows traction. Full locks can often be quite rattly too, or top out.
  • Pozzi
    supersonic wrote:
    it works to your advantage, as protects the internals and allows traction. Full locks can often be quite rattly too, or top out.

Ahh yes, good point. Well, this certainly does seem like the best deal I've found, and is quite a lot cheaper than the UK bikestores I've seen. Roughly £850 with postage included, so I'm going to email them and check their stock. I see some people got deal of the day a while back, at £750, wow!
  • supersonic
    They are cracking value compared to some of the stuff available in the UK!
  • Pozzi
    supersonic wrote:
    They are cracking value compared to some of the stuff available in the UK!

Indeed. Do you know of any other German stores which may stock that bike? Google.de search comes up dry :( and just wanted to make sure this is the best price on that one.

Oops, it seems like there is the same model at a cheaper price, for a different colour. quite a bit cheaper, and does seem be the same model?
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a58228 ... fAod30IADg

Thanks again :)
  • supersonic
    Looks the same! Utter bargain, the fork is worth half that alone!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Pozzi wrote:
    Indeed. Do you know of any other German stores which may stock that bike? Google.de search comes up dry :( and just wanted to make sure this is the best price on that one.
    Radon is bike.discounts own brand, it says at the bottom right hand corner of the radon home page, "join our online shop here" BIKE.DISCOUNT :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Pozzi
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Pozzi wrote:
    Radon is bike.discounts own brand, it says at the bottom right hand corner of the radon home page, "join our online shop here" BIKE.DISCOUNT :wink:

Yes, I missed that, silly me.

I did notice on the bike discount shop it said they sell their own brand :oops: so saw it in the end lol.
  • I was in exactly the same situation as you and needed a bike for almost exactly the same needs! :D I'm 190cm and I went for the canyon 8.9 29er. Seemed to be the best value but some mixed opinions about the fork but I usually I don't believe unless I try something myself because I've had few components/items in the past that were brilliant for me but didn't get any good reviews.

Good luck with the bike :D