Cornwall - Bugle/Roche Riding

christiannorman
christiannorman Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in Routes
Wos on,

I live just near Newquay and ride around Hustyns, Cardinham, Poldice areas but have driven through Roche & Bugle recently and seen the terrain left by the mining in the area. I wandered if anyone knew if it was possible to ride in the area or if anyone did ride there.
The terrain looks sick but obviously not sure how safe/restricted the area is, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I've been out by St.Dennis and it wasn't too bad. Started out opposite the dirt jumps. There was a few fences to negotiate but nothing too bad. A few cows too. It then leads onto what I think is restricted land but it's not really clear, probably shouldn't be on there, but hey. It's fairly safe, just don't throw yourself off a drop without checking it out first, there are some big clay pits there.

Be sure to check out Grogley near Hustyns if you've not been there yet.
  • Funny enough i rode Hustyns yesterday and was thinking of going in to Grogeley, do you enter at the bottom via the dirt road with that has the barrier across it?
    I've had a look on google earth and there appears to be a few ways in to the Roche/Bugle pits that aren't blocked but i'll need to check at ground level as well.

Cheers for the help.
  • most the area around roche is clay waste, not a lot i know of up that way 9despite growing up in the village for a number of years!) i suspect if you find any keen guys in the village itself they'll be able to show you some tracks, there used to be a little wood off to the side of the rock that was at the end of the school playing field, its been a while since ive been through but may have been built on now?? there's potential for some great tracks around there, but not sure if the peeps are there to create them?? years back was some talk of some runs up pn the greensplat side of the clay pits??
    was something about one of the woods in Bodders that was on the Freeriders facebook page a while back, a lot of loggin's been going on and a lot of the good runs have been destroyed, ive a feeeling it was groggly but not too sure, the warden did post on that he was willing to work with riders to help them create and keep the routes clear mind, so all is not lost,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Funny enough i rode Hustyns yesterday and was thinking of going in to Grogeley, do you enter at the bottom via the dirt road with that has the barrier across it?

Yeah there is a low style next to the gate, follow the fire road for a good 10 min to take you to the top. You will realise you are in the right place as you'll see loads of runs going off the fire roads.
    was something about one of the woods in Bodders that was on the Freeriders facebook page a while back, a lot of loggin's been going on and a lot of the good runs have been destroyed, ive a feeeling it was groggly but not too sure, the warden did post on that he was willing to work with riders to help them create and keep the routes clear mind, so all is not lost,

Yeah it was Grogely. The main problems were exits off the tracks onto the fire roads, they suddenly turned into 3 ft drops however they seem to be sorted now. But I found most of the main stuff was just as good. Infact, it had been a while since I had been up but went up last night and can't believe how much work has gone on there, kudoz to the peeps building the tracks there.
  • most the area around roche is clay waste, not a lot i know of up that way 9despite growing up in the village for a number of years!) i suspect if you find any keen guys in the village itself they'll be able to show you some tracks, there used to be a little wood off to the side of the rock that was at the end of the school playing field, its been a while since ive been through but may have been built on now?? there's potential for some great tracks around there, but not sure if the peeps are there to create them?? years back was some talk of some runs up pn the greensplat side of the clay pits??

I know a few peeps who would be keen on building up in them there hills but i'm going to find out what access is like first, i grew up with infofilms that left me scarred with visions of children falling in to silage pits and things collapsing on them!
    I watched Where The Trails Ends the other day and was stoked on it so have been trying to think of somewhere with a loose yet firm surface and can only really think of the stacks up there so i intend to have a reccy on the weekend and see what turns up.