Black Campagnolo

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited September 2012 in Road general
What is with all this black finish, I really am not a fan. I get it that some people are liking the look but surely there are enough of us out there who are partial to the shiny stuff.
Athena is out of my price range but I don't want black Centaur......but I think Veloce is too cheap.
I feel black is more of a fad and will date really quickly.

If it gets dirty then use the greatest creation of all time - Muc off!

Who's with me, lets get our Italian friends to turn out their stuff as it should be, polished and shiny!

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I'm a fan to be honest. I've got the Centaur chainset and SR everything else.
    The only thing stopping me getting the Record/SR chainset was that I couldn't find an all black one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that :D
  • Current black/grey SR looks feckin' superb.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Ideally I wish they'd do the top-end stuff in a choice of finishes, black and polished alloy. I don't mind the black (it works pretty well on a lot of bikes), but for some frames you really want a shiny metal finish.

Of course the problem is that the high-end campagnolo stuff now relies very heavily on carbon fiber, and there's no way to make that look good in anything other than black. When the levers, entire rear derailleur and cranks are all made out of CF, it makes sense to paint the few remaining alloy bits black to match.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Simmo72 wrote:
    I don't want black Centaur......but I think Veloce is too cheap.

I love polished alloy, but if anything it looks retro.

Centaur is basically the same as Veloce with a miniscule weight difference and 40% more expensive. I've got both (in black 8) ).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No reason not to have black carbon and alloy finished metalwork. My Record 10 speed bits are like that and look smart.

For cranks, carbon is better than alloy IMO as marks don't show so much and can easily be dealt with with a bit of polish and lacquer.

Otherwise I'd be more inclined to get a Record groupset if you could get calipers in alloy finish.
    hipshot wrote:
    Simmo72 wrote:
    I don't want black Centaur......but I think Veloce is too cheap.

I love polished alloy, but if anything it looks retro.

Centaur is basically the same as Veloce with a miniscule weight difference and 40% more expensive. I've got both (in black 8) ).

The main practical benefit of Centaur is the lovely carbon levers but even those are just carbon wrap now irrc. Veloce is really the most logical choice of any Campag groupset.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I have black Veloce on my Cinelli Experience, it suits the bike.
    Girlfriend has shiny Veloce on her Genesis Equilibrium, it suits the bike.