2 years today

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Fignon passed 2 years ago today. Just thought to say. go to 25mins 30s. Good classic race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsJK81r ... ults_video

Comments

• Inrng has a nice piece too.

One of the comments describes his headband as "go harder stripes" too!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    edited August 2012
    Inrng has a nice piece too.

One of the comments describes his headband as "go harder stripes" too!

Yes, I just saw Inrng post about Fignon, so thought to mention it here...am sure the race analysts among the media miss Fignon's insight greatly
  • The picture on the inrng piece is fanastic
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    2 years? I only thought it was last year! He was one of those riders I came to admire after he retired whereas when he was racing I always preferred LeMond, Chiapucci, Roche and Bugno for some reason.
  • dave_1
    The picture on the inrng piece is fanastic

I was just getting into cycling around then. What a great era..at least for me
  • Before my time, I was only born in 1981! Fignon was a rider I came to admire as I got into the history of the sport in the mid 90s though.

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It's incredible how quickly time flies Dave but it doesn't diminish his presence as one of the great riders of all time.

I think because we spout about procycling so much (and there can't be a day that his name isn't mentioned on the forum) that we forget he is actually gone and not just retired. Chapeau to you for remembering and bringing it to our attention
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dave_1
    It's incredible how quickly time flies Dave but it doesn't diminish his presence as one of the great riders of all time.

I think because we spout about procycling so much (and there can't be a day that his name isn't mentioned on the forum) that we forget he is actually gone and not just retired. Chapeau to you for remembering and bringing it to our attention

yes, thanks..glad to bring up Laurent Fignon...saw him on Alpe D'huez in 1991....wish had met him , but grateful to have seen him race by me
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Fignon passed 2 years ago today. Just thought to say. go to 25mins 30s. Good classic race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsJK81r ... ults_video

Cheers for posting that. Very good indeed. Although PLiggett looked like some kind of perv in the video. Mind you....

I wish they still raced sans helmet.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Dirty doping sob ... Oh wait, he's french ... It was depeche mode (everything counts in large amounts indeed) ...
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Cheers for posting that. Very good indeed. Although PLiggett looked like some kind of perv in the video. Mind you....

I wish they still raced sans helmet.

Yes, was great seeing Fignon get stuck in at cobbled classics and grand tours..season long excitement..And with the demise of Lance Armstrong, I think le professeur's 1984 Tour De France win is one of the most dominant wins by any rider of a grand tour in the 28 years since. 5 stages wins and a 10 minute GC lead. And he said of Hinault's attack off the Croix de Fer with the Alpe to come 20km down the road.. it "made me laugh".
  • A classy rider from an era of classy riders. The sport has changed and I prefer the way it was.

Thanks for the reminder Dave (and inrng)