Bike couriers? Anyone able to recommend?

edewer
edewer Posts: 99
edited September 2012 in Road general
As above,
My Trek is off to its new owner in Leeds but wondering who people use to courier a bike, and also how do you courier them? wheels off? or fully built

Any help much appreciated

ed

Comments

• glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    have used Paisley Fright a number of times. Very good service
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The second hand bike I bought was delivered with Parcelforce.

I recommend it... recorded, tracked, insured delivery. Can be done online and maybe through the post office, I think . Cost £25 for delivery in 2 working days or £44 for delivery by 9am the next day.

The bike was dismantled with both wheels, saddle and seat post removed from the frame. The handlebar was removed from the frame but the cables was still left connected. Chain and group set still left on frame. All this was posted in its cardboard box.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112
    have used Paisley Fright a number of times. Very good service

Used them to sell my bike recently, second time using them and haven't a bad word to say.

Pick up times aren't certain, which is annoying.
    But next day delivery on any bike for £21.50 can't be complained about!
    Seems to be loads of horror stories about them on the web, but they are well regarded on here as far as I can see.

I stuck my bike in a bike box the LBS were chucking. Bike shops normally have plenty of cardboard boxes that bikes come in that they'll happily give you free of charge.
    I took the wheels off, turned the bars and took out the seat post/saddle - Everything else left in its place, cables keep bar in place. Wrapped the groupie in bubble wrap and and then covered it in extra cardboard just to protect against knocks.

Simple! Don't know why so many people complain about the hassle of posting a bike, personally.
  • I used Tuffnells back in July to sell my old MTB, they were brilliant.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    ben@31 wrote:
    The second hand bike I bought was delivered with Parcelforce.

I recommend it... recorded, tracked, insured delivery. Can be done online and maybe through the post office, I think . Cost £25 for delivery in 2 working days or £44 for delivery by 9am the next day.

The bike was dismantled with both wheels, saddle and seat post removed from the frame. The handlebar was removed from the frame but the cables was still left connected. Chain and group set still left on frame. All this was posted in its cardboard box.
    I've sold and shipped 2 bikes this way. 1st one no problem. 2nd one the buyer claimed it was damaged (even though no sign of damage to packaging) and gave me 2 choices, pay to get it back and give full refund including postage (so I would be £50 out of pocket), or refund him £100 that he claimed his LBS had quoted for repair!

I will never ship a bike again!
  • I used Parcel Force a month or so back ... £25 which was the best I could find ...

Re. packing, I used a mtb box and only had to remove the front wheel and twist bars/stem to get it to fit in the box ...

Also, if the buyer says it's damaged arrange for an independant shop to check the bike ... Agree to pay them for the cost if the person turns up with the bike, if the buyer is trying a fast one they won't go to the shop so no cost/hassle ...