Cycling frequency rate mapped

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... ata-mapped

And Cambridge residents cycle roughly five times more often than the national average.

Colour me surprised.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I am surprised by how low the rates for my neck of the woods are, Barnet is both affluent and has good access to the countryside and quiet roads.

but then people are quite attached to their cars and PT links are good.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • BBC South covered this last night. Gosport is surprisingly high in bike usage but is not an affluent area (for some reason I equate bike usage with affluence). I was puzzling this when Mrs BBGeek said: "Thats because they all ride to the ferry and work in Portsmouth".
    Interesting survey though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Cambridge is really holding the end up isn't it? 58%! That's about double the next highest... Hackney has high levels of cycling for London - guess all those hipsters on fixies count after all...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cambridge is really holding the end up isn't it? 58%! That's about double the next highest... Hackney has high levels of cycling for London - guess all those hipsters on fixies count after all...

It's a little disingenuous since I'd say the majority of that area mapped blue is off limits to cars.

Genuinely, a 15 minute bike ride for me into town is either £3.50 on the bus with a 20 minute wait, or a 30 minute drive and £8 for parking - if you can find any spaces.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The stats for Richmond are no surprise!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have to wonder on the statistical relevance of some of those sample sizes!

My patch (Warwick) not to bad at 18%.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cambridge is really holding the end up isn't it? 58%! That's about double the next highest...
    Scilly Isles 41%, 58% is nowhere near double that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    notsoblue wrote:
    The stats for Richmond are no surprise!
    True. I was a little surprised at the drop from Richmond to Kingston. Probably explained by Kingston stretching down towards Leatherhead. Very small sample sizes as well.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Doesn't surprise me at all. I've always considered Cambridge to be Cycle City!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe wrote:
    I am surprised by how low the rates for my neck of the woods are, Barnet is both affluent and has good access to the countryside and quiet roads.

but then people are quite attached to their cars and PT links are good.

True, and Harrow next door is only marginally better. At 5 days/week I'm in the top (bottom?) 2% which is fine, I wouldn't want to belong to the general population, always felt I'm better than them :lol:

Bit miffed they never asked me though :( with 239,000 people in Harrow, 500 is a big enough sample to say with 99% certainty that 80% of people never cycle +/- 4.6%, but only can say with 95% certainty that the number of people that cycle 5 times a week is between 1 and 3%. But then we know we're in the minority for now...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    sample size of 501 per area? Hardly fact
    FCN: 6
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    straas wrote:
    sample size of 501 per area? Hardly fact

I'm not a statistician but I do know that, for relatively simple questions like that being asked in this survey, sample sizes don't need to be as big as I would have thought to be pretty accurate. Election pollsters use remarkably small numbers. Maybe there's a proper statistician on here that can comment
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Only because they all read the Gridiron
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.