Which one is better Shifter for 9 Speed?

uzapuca
uzapuca Posts: 103
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hi guys,
i am thinking in upgrading my 8 Speed to 9. I have an hybrid touring / city bike. In fact, i am doing quite well with 8 Speed so far, but in case i would like to upgrade which do you think is a better shifter and why?

Shimano Deore LX SL-T660
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... id=0;pgc=0
53 euros (pair)

Shimano Deore SL-M590 Rapidfire Plus Shifting Lever
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... id=0;pgc=0
42 euros (pair)

i don't know about much about Shimano, but isn't the LX series suppose to be kind of outdated? Or maybe is better constructed than the new SL series.

I am currently using a grip shifter, i must say after used to it it feels quite comfy...but everybody says levers are the way to go. By the way if i stick to gripshifters has anybody knows about the

SRAM X.0 ESP Shorty Twister Shifting Levers
http://www.bike24.com/p2748.html

What do you think? Thanks and cheers, S.-

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is very little in the shifters, though technically LX is higher up the range. I'd be tempted by XT though, as the internals are significantly better:

http://www.acycles.co.uk/shimano-xt-9-s ... e-440.html

Grip Shift is purely down to preference.

But do you really need 9 speed?
  • uzapuca
    supersonic wrote:
    There is very little in the shifters, though technically LX is higher up the range. I'd be tempted by XT though, as the internals are significantly better:

http://www.acycles.co.uk/shimano-xt-9-s ... e-440.html

Grip Shift is purely down to preference.

But do you really need 9 speed?

Thanks for the fast reply supersonic.
    I didn't know LX was suppossed to be the better one. Thanks for that info.

You are right 9 speed is maybe more of a marketing pressure concept than a real need for me.

By the way, i came to realize that i am quite happy with Grip Shift action. I felt like Grip Shift was like that the inexpensive and low quality standard but i was wrong. I did a little research and there is plenty of good quality options to choose from and happy users too. Too bad SRAM models aren't always compatible with Shimano rear derraileurs.

Cheers,
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    8-speed is perfect for commuters IMO. Wider, strong chains, bigger gaps between sprockets make gear indexing more tolerant of wear and weather...the 8-speed MTB shift on my tourer knocks the 10-speed STIs on my road bike into a cocked hat.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    uzapuca wrote:
    Hi guys,
    i am thinking in upgrading my 8 Speed to 9. I have an hybrid touring / city bike. In fact, i am doing quite well with 8 Speed so far, but in case i would like to upgrade
    Why do you want to upgrade ?
    What do you think the benefit would be ?

[I ask, because, if we understand what you want, we may be able to offer other, perhaps better or cheaper solutions. About the first question I asked here, both NL and SS suggested a different, better, solution to what I had in mind.]

I can think of good reasons, but what are your reasons ?
  • jejv
    DesWeller wrote:
    8-speed is perfect for commuters IMO. Wider, strong chains, bigger gaps between sprockets make gear indexing more tolerant of wear and weather...the 8-speed MTB shift on my tourer knocks the 10-speed STIs on my road bike into a cocked hat.
    Yeah.
    But the choice of 8-speed cassettes isn't quite what it could be. And the available cassettes could be done better.
    8-speed 12-25 should be 12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25.
    So we have mashed up cassettes like 13-15-17-19-21-23-26-30.
    I found the 15-18 on Shimano 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32 a bit annoying on-road.

Looking at the gears folks really use, the right 8-speed cassette might do as well as the 10sp cassette they have, for most folk.
  • desweller
    Yeah, I have a triple on my touring bike so can put a really close ratio back block when it's in commuting mode... I have no idea what it would be like with a compact or standard double.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • uzapuca
    jejv wrote:
    uzapuca wrote:
    Hi guys,
    i am thinking in upgrading my 8 Speed to 9. I have an hybrid touring / city bike. In fact, i am doing quite well with 8 Speed so far, but in case i would like to upgrade

[I ask, because, if we understand what you want, we may be able to offer other, perhaps better or cheaper solutions. About the first question I asked here, both NL and SS suggested a different, better, solution to what I had in mind.]

The reason why i would like to upgrade to 9 SPEED i think -and i might be wrong since i am a newbie in bike technology- that i might have more or better quality products and alternative since 9 SPEED is i guess the standard of nowdays. However, consider that i am a newbie i could be wrong.

Tha concept of DesWeller being the 8 Speed a thicker and more durable since the chain is wider makes good sense too.

What do you think?

By the way, any advice on top quality 8 Speed casette and chains?
  • desweller
    uzapuca wrote:
    jejv wrote:
    uzapuca wrote:
    Hi guys,

The reason why i would like to upgrade to 9 SPEED i think -and i might be wrong since i am a newbie in bike technology- that i might have more or better quality products and alternative since 9 SPEED is i guess the standard of nowdays. However, consider that i am a newbie i could be wrong.

Tha concept of DesWeller being the 8 Speed a thicker and more durable since the chain is wider makes good sense too.

What do you think?

Shimano or SRAM will fit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • supersonic
    I run 8 speed on my Zaskar LE - I think Shimano 8 speed was their pinnacle, it is tough, long lasting - great stuff. Even the new budget stuff is good.
  • jejv
    uzapuca wrote:
    I don't think I've got through enough chains to know, but SRAM PC-850 or above seems good value.
    PC-870 & PC890 are more bling, but don't last longer, AFAICT - they all have the same chrome hardened pins.
    PC-830 has softer pins. I think I saw an interview with SRAM where they confirmed this, but I can't find it right now.

There are plenty of "Which chain ?" threads, though mostly a bit anecdotal.
  • supersonic
    I use the 850, works great. or old PC48.
  • uzapuca
    In front i have a

Shimano Deore M590
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496
    in 26.36.48t
    which is the more "road" oriented configuration of a MTB chainset because of the 48t larger chainring.

i was wondering if i could use SRAM PC-850 for my casette and KMC X8 99 8 Speed Chain? because of the whole Shimano hyperglide technology in my front.

Cheers,