Evans Ride It! Sportives

BlakeysFC
BlakeysFC Posts: 233
Hi All,

I'm doing three Evans Ride It! Sportives over the coming months.

The Biggin Hill (30 miles) on September 30th, Cliddesden (50 miles) on November 11th and Dorking (50 miles) on December 2nd.

Is anyone else from this forum taking part in any of these?

Comments

• BlakeysFC wrote:
    Hi All,

The Biggin Hill (30 miles) on September 30th, Cliddesden (50 miles) on November 11th and Dorking (50 miles) on December 2nd.

I'm doing the Biggin Hill event - 90 mile distance as part of my year-round charity challenge to do 20 sportives, it will be number 17 after I've done the Redhill CC sportive this weekend, the Circuit of Kent on the 9th, Addiscombe CC sportive on the 16th and Ibbo's cake quest sportive on the 23rd...if I make it round I'll be happy!!

Go on, push yourself, do the 60 miler instead of the 30! The Evans ride it sportives are pretty good, having done a couple before. A lot cheaper than the wiggle rides and just as well organsied, just less free cr@p at the end of the ride.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • BlakeysFC wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm doing the Biggin Hill event - 90 mile distance as part of my year-round charity challenge to do 20 sportives, it will be number 17 after I've done the Redhill CC sportive this weekend, the Circuit of Kent on the 9th, Addiscombe CC sportive on the 16th and Ibbo's cake quest sportive on the 23rd...if I make it round I'll be happy!!

Go on, push yourself, do the 60 miler instead of the 30! The Evans ride it sportives are pretty good, having done a couple before. A lot cheaper than the wiggle rides and just as well organsied, just less free cr@p at the end of the ride.

Thanks for the advice. Still think 60 miles is a bit beyond me at the moment, but I've got another 3 weeks of training until then so I may decide to up my mileage to 60.

Forgot to do a thread for it, but I'm also doing the Ibbo Cake Quest (Jaffa Cake 60km) booked all my sportives quite a while ago to keep me working towards a goal every week in training and so far I haven't missed 1 ride :)
  • I am doing the Biggin Hill 60 miler if you do decide up your mileage then would be good to have someone to ride it with!
    :D
  • Endurance riding is as much about nutrition as anything else. If you ride at a maintainable steady pace and eat 200 calories every hour (preferably 100 / half hour) you should fuel yourself enough to keep the endurance up (alongside training of course!). The body can digest between 100-200 calories per hour, so if you discipline yourself to eat half a cereal bar every half hour, even if you're not hungry, you should be able to keep your backside on the saddle long enough to tap out a steady cadence and complete the distance. Try a long training run and see how it goes, until you push yourself beyond what your perceive your limits to be, you'll never exceed them anyway.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• Endurance riding is as much about nutrition as anything else. If you ride at a maintainable steady pace and eat 200 calories every hour (preferably 100 / half hour) you should fuel yourself enough to keep the endurance up (alongside training of course!). The body can digest between 100-200 calories per hour, so if you discipline yourself to eat half a cereal bar every half hour, even if you're not hungry, you should be able to keep your backside on the saddle long enough to tap out a steady cadence and complete the distance. Try a long training run and see how it goes, until you push yourself beyond what your perceive your limits to be, you'll never exceed them anyway.

Ive got a 20 week training regime that I'm sticking to, which is why I haven't yet expedentially increased my mileage. I'm currently on Week 7 and this'll be my last week doing 1 x 25 mile ride and 2 x 8 mile rides. Next week the mileage increases to 2 x 10 mile rides and 1 x 30 mile ride so my mileage is going up slowly but surely, and I'll be able to easily do a ton in another 14 weeks time (damn that sounds like a LONG time!).

I've structured my sportives to account for my training regime and this gradual increase in mileage week after week. Doing 31 miles on the 16th, 37.5 on the 23rd, 30 on the 30th, 44 on the 14th October, and 50 on the 11th November and 2nd December.

As for the nutritional advice, thanks. I haven't yet felt the need to have an energy bar/energy drink on a ride as I've been doing pretty small amounts so far (25.7 miles is my furthest so far) and thought I wouldn't need it, so have stuck just with water. For the last couple of rides the last 7 miles I've felt absolutely drained, and now I realise this was proberly a lack of calories?

I've also encountered problems with my neck, shoulders and wrists. So that's obviously put me off trying further distances any sooner than I originally planned. I thought this would go off the more I rode as the different muscles got used to riding, but they haven't and I get a terrible back-ache, neck-ache and wrist-ache in the last 7 miles on my 25 mile rides that I've done so far. I'm now thinking that maybe I'm not fitted to my bike correctly, and maybe I'm reaching too far for the handlebars?
  • +1 for Evans Ride-it sportives, they are well organised and a bargain price too. Really enjoyed the Milton Keynes one despite it being cold, it was my first and was a great intro. In company of other riders you may enjoy the longer distance.

I also started getting neck/shoulder pain on longer rides and numbness in my hands, I have recently swapped to a shorter stem (100mm instead of 130) and found it definitely helped, although not 100% improvement it was certainly worth doing as it enables me to sit more upright and stretch my neck. Post-ride neck ache was much less noticeable.

I also have gel pads under my bar tape (IMO probably not worth it unless you're already going to re-do your bar tape). The other big thing for aches and pains I have found is to take more regular stops. Get off the bike, admire the view, clean your glasses, have an energy bar, or whatever, for about 5-10 minutes and I found that change of position made the most difference to me.
  • BlakeysFC wrote:
    Ive got a 20 week training regime that I'm sticking to, which is why I haven't yet expedentially increased my mileage. I'm currently on Week 7 and this'll be my last week doing 1 x 25 mile ride and 2 x 8 mile rides. Next week the mileage increases to 2 x 10 mile rides and 1 x 30 mile ride so my mileage is going up slowly but surely, and I'll be able to easily do a ton in another 14 weeks time (damn that sounds like a LONG time!).

I've structured my sportives to account for my training regime and this gradual increase in mileage week after week. Doing 31 miles on the 16th, 37.5 on the 23rd, 30 on the 30th, 44 on the 14th October, and 50 on the 11th November and 2nd December.

As for the nutritional advice, thanks. I haven't yet felt the need to have an energy bar/energy drink on a ride as I've been doing pretty small amounts so far (25.7 miles is my furthest so far) and thought I wouldn't need it, so have stuck just with water. For the last couple of rides the last 7 miles I've felt absolutely drained, and now I realise this was proberly a lack of calories?

I've also encountered problems with my neck, shoulders and wrists. So that's obviously put me off trying further distances any sooner than I originally planned. I thought this would go off the more I rode as the different muscles got used to riding, but they haven't and I get a terrible back-ache, neck-ache and wrist-ache in the last 7 miles on my 25 mile rides that I've done so far. I'm now thinking that maybe I'm not fitted to my bike correctly, and maybe I'm reaching too far for the handlebars?

I didn't bother with a training plan as such when I started cycling, I just jumped right in and rode as far as I could until the distances become more comfortable. Joining a club was a big step as you get the added motivation to ride longer distances with others, which naturally makes you ride further than you normally would. When I started building a decent base fitness I started structuring my training to involve two turbo training sessions a week (to target my top end fitness) and continue with the longer rides to continue building my base at the weekends. The trick, when you start, is to ride yourself into fitness and then you can look at structuring your training.

Also I'd suggest you avoid falling into the trap of counting distances as targets to train to in the week. Your focus should be the quality of the miles you do, not the quantity, especially if you don't have unlimited time to train (like myself due to the commute to work). For example, an hour intensive turbo training session will do much more for your fitness than an 8 mile ride. Also, targetting hills on your rides, and even doing intervals on those hills, will do much more for buidling your fitness, and inevitably, your endurance. The book, 'The Time Crunched Cyclist' by Carmichael was a great aid for me as it explained the science behind certain training techniques and how to get the most out of the little training you can afford to do in a week. It also has a great section on nutrition which will help you with your endurance. Water is not sufficient on its own, you may need electrolye tablets which will replace what you use in sweat, and obviously if you're finding yourself tire rapidly at the end half of rides then I'd suggest looking at boosting your ride nutrition to keep fueling yourself.

As for comfort on the bike, I just rode myself into comfort and eventually you will feel better on the bike. Over time, if you're still finding it really uncomfortable pay for a bike fit which should sort it all out.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• After reading this thread I have just signed up for the Epping 90 miler.
    I just completed the 65 mile AMR Essex at the weekend and seem to have come out the other side in good nick :D
    I did an 88 mile training ride 3 weeks ago so hopefully will be ready for the step up in October.

Re the training I just followed a similar guide to the one BlakeysFC is using. Mainly because I did not have anything else to guide me. It kept me focused and got the job done well enough but I am now going to be climbing a lot more hills on my midweek rides and getting my lazy ass out of the saddle more often :wink:

Best of luck to you all.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • BlakeysFC wrote:

I didn't bother with a training plan as such when I started cycling, I just jumped right in and rode as far as I could until the distances become more comfortable. Joining a club was a big step as you get the added motivation to ride longer distances with others, which naturally makes you ride further than you normally would. When I started building a decent base fitness I started structuring my training to involve two turbo training sessions a week (to target my top end fitness) and continue with the longer rides to continue building my base at the weekends. The trick, when you start, is to ride yourself into fitness and then you can look at structuring your training.

Also I'd suggest you avoid falling into the trap of counting distances as targets to train to in the week. Your focus should be the quality of the miles you do, not the quantity, especially if you don't have unlimited time to train (like myself due to the commute to work). For example, an hour intensive turbo training session will do much more for your fitness than an 8 mile ride. Also, targetting hills on your rides, and even doing intervals on those hills, will do much more for buidling your fitness, and inevitably, your endurance. The book, 'The Time Crunched Cyclist' by Carmichael was a great aid for me as it explained the science behind certain training techniques and how to get the most out of the little training you can afford to do in a week. It also has a great section on nutrition which will help you with your endurance. Water is not sufficient on its own, you may need electrolye tablets which will replace what you use in sweat, and obviously if you're finding yourself tire rapidly at the end half of rides then I'd suggest looking at boosting your ride nutrition to keep fueling yourself.

As for comfort on the bike, I just rode myself into comfort and eventually you will feel better on the bike. Over time, if you're still finding it really uncomfortable pay for a bike fit which should sort it all out.

After reading this thread I have just signed up for the Epping 90 miler.
    I just completed the 65 mile AMR Essex at the weekend and seem to have come out the other side in good nick :D
    I did an 88 mile training ride 3 weeks ago so hopefully will be ready for the step up in October.

Re the training I just followed a similar guide to the one BlakeysFC is using. Mainly because I did not have anything else to guide me. It kept me focused and got the job done well enough but I am now going to be climbing a lot more hills on my midweek rides and getting my lazy ass out of the saddle more often :wink:

Best of luck to you all.

Thanks again for the advice :)

I honestly think if I didn't have my training schedule that I'd of stuck to cycling as much as I have these past 6/7 weeks since I got my bike in July. I'm the kind of guy that if I have no goal to go for, or no structure in my training or approach then I just won't bother.

I'm pretty lazy and the training schedule combined with doing 5/6 Sportives before the new year is all designed for me to stay motivated, and keep riding week-in week-out even when I'm having an off day.

So far, so good. At the end of 20 weeks I want to do a ton and then go for a 300 mile charity cycle ride in the Summer next year...and then I want to race once I'm upto full cycle fitness.
  • Hello fellow Saints fan!

Good luck for the Biggin Hill Ride It! starting at Biggin Hill next weekend, I did the long route last year and I'm doing the same this year. So far its the hardest ride I've done, but I was less fit then and decided to the longer route half way round so that probably didn't help!
  • Hello fellow Saints fan!

Good luck for the Biggin Hill Ride It! starting at Biggin Hill next weekend, I did the long route last year and I'm doing the same this year. So far its the hardest ride I've done, but I was less fit then and decided to the longer route half way round so that probably didn't help!

Sounds great :)

Finished the Cake Quest earlier today.

Got lost on one part of the route as someone had taken down/moved the route marker so had to do another 3.2 miles to get back on-route, so did 40.7 miles overall.

Great route, and great scenery, the rain ruined it a bit as it was raining cats and dogs all day, but nevertheless was still a good day out, highly recommended to anyone who wants to take part in Cake Quest 2013.

This is the route I did here if anyone wants to check it out:

http://app.strava.com/rides/22878637
  • GBR1
    GBR1 Posts: 97
    Hey guys n girls..

Will see you all there, has anyone got the gpx files for the courses??

Cheers

GBR1
  • GBR1 wrote:
    Hey guys n girls..

Will see you all there, has anyone got the gpx files for the courses??

Cheers

GBR1

Cool :)

According to the Evans Cycles Ride It! Blog GPX files are being sent out to pre-entered riders on Thursday (27th September). On the day riders can download the GPX files in the morning on the day.
  • GBR1
    Just had a quick look at the gpx file (if you cant open it just change the name to .gpx).. Plenty of long steep hills around there!!

Looks like it will be a tough 60 miles..

See you all there..

GBR1
  • GBR1 wrote:
    Just had a quick look at the gpx file (if you cant open it just change the name to .gpx).. Plenty of long steep hills around there!!

See you all there..

GBR1

I haven't got any information through yet which is strange, did you get the info thru on an email?

Any chance you know what the 30 mile route looks like climbing-wise? Or did they just include the info for the 60 mile route?
  • GBR1 wrote:

See you all there..

GBR1

Looks like it does Ide's Hill and Toys Hill which are challenging humps, but nothing unbearable at all. Just under 1,000m of climbing for 60 miles is pretty generous in terms of overall elevation, have done plenty of 60 milers this year with 1,500m+ worth of climbing.

Great part of the south east to cycle in, and the forecast looks dry (making a huge difference to last week's experience at Ibbos!) so touch wood it will be a good day in the saddle.

Blakey, yes, the info come through by email this weeks (Wednesday I think), the gpx files were attached on the email and can be opened on the bike toaster link on the email.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• GBR1
    BlakeysFC wrote:
    I haven't got any information through yet which is strange, did you get the info thru on an email?

Any chance you know what the 30 mile route looks like climbing-wise? Or did they just include the info for the 60 mile route?

PM'd you, you should have the link, hope it works!

GBR1
  • I am doing the 60 miler (pre booked) but haven't received the route by email? Can someone please forward me the route?

Thanks

Dave
  • GBR1 wrote:
    BlakeysFC wrote:

PM'd you, you should have the link, hope it works!

GBR1

Thanks, got your PM. Looks a great route, looking forward to Sunday, just hope my hip doesn't play up again!
    I am doing the 60 miler (pre booked) but haven't received the route by email? Can someone please forward me the route?

Thanks

Dave

I've PM'd you a link to the routes, use Bike Route Toaster to view the GPX files.
  • Thanks! :D
  • mkmc
    mkmc Posts: 1
    I did the mk 1(60miles) loved it though it took me 7 hours but that time will be almost halved next year,
    also did lake district were there weather was terrible, ****I am hoping to do more and find some people to car share with also.****
  • GBR1
    Had a great ride, really good value, got lots of free High 5 and Zero, probably more than the value of the event itself!!

*If there is a Hamish on here, sorry man not sure what happened! Thought you were on my back wheel then you were gone!? Hope you got your time you were after!!!*

GBR1
  • GBR1 wrote:
    Had a great ride, really good value, got lots of free High 5 and Zero, probably more than the value of the event itself!!

*If there is a Hamish on here, sorry man not sure what happened! Thought you were on my back wheel then you were gone!? Hope you got your time you were after!!!*

GBR1

I had a great time too. Only did the 30 mile route, but it was enough! Was the most climbing I've done on a route before, and even more than the South Downs Sportive I'm doing in a few weeks time which surprised me!

The 60 mile route looked bloody tough, 5,500ft of climbing?! That's Etape Cymru/Caledonia/Pennines territory! Bloody well done I say, I was absolutely knackered out after doing the 30 mile route and 2,250ft of climbing!

Gotta love the free High5 stuff too, I must have about £40's worth in my bag :D:D:lol::lol: