Cycling Weekly Sportive Dorking 14th October

BlakeysFC
BlakeysFC Posts: 233
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone on here is partaking in this Sportive?

I've signed myself up for the 44 mile 'Fun' ride and personally can't wait, hoping to see/ride with Chris Boardman as well if I can get anywhere near him!

Comments

• You might not see him on the fun route if the course split is early on in the ride.

I'll be doing it anyway as my final sportive of the year...looking forward to it as the other cycling weekly sportive earlier in the year was great fun.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • I hijacked it last year, a good route... don't think I'll do it this year, Ranmore, Leith Hill, White Down and Box Hill have now become my local, so not much point really
    left the forum March 2023
  • I hijacked it last year, a good route... don't think I'll do it this year, Ranmore, Leith Hill, White Down and Box Hill have now become my local, so not much point really

Fair enough, I'm not too far from there either (Farnham) but haven't ventured upto Box Hill/Leith Hill etc. yet so I'm looking forward to it and hoping Box Hill/Leith Hill aren't as fearsome as their reputations!
    You might not see him on the fun route if the course split is early on in the ride.

I'll be doing it anyway as my final sportive of the year...looking forward to it as the other cycling weekly sportive earlier in the year was great fun.

Good to hear, it's no big deal if I don't get to see him/ride with him but just would be a bonus I suppose to meet a cycling legend.
  • BlakeysFC wrote:
    I hijacked it last year, a good route... don't think I'll do it this year, Ranmore, Leith Hill, White Down and Box Hill have now become my local, so not much point really

Fair enough, I'm not too far from there either (Farnham) but haven't ventured upto Box Hill/Leith Hill etc. yet so I'm looking forward to it and hoping Box Hill/Leith Hill aren't as fearsome as their reputations!
    You might not see him on the fun route if the course split is early on in the ride.

Good to hear, it's no big deal if I don't get to see him/ride with him but just would be a bonus I suppose to meet a cycling legend.

Leith hill is a decent climb, probably 10-12% in parts, White downs is significantly steep (18% for quite a long section) and challenging after many miles... Box Hill is none of this...
    White Downs gets an 8/10 in Simon Warren's book "100 greatest cycling climbs", but I think it's totally undeserved, considering even the Winnats pass is an 8/10 but a much more brutal beast.
    left the forum March 2023
  • lms
    lms Posts: 9
    Anyone got an entry for this event that they can't use? I am supposed to be riding the Epic - but forgot to sign up and it's now sold out ..... happy to buy it off you if you can't make it.

Luke
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561

+1 on all counts
  • Really looking forward to this now, posted my PB up Leith Hill on the Ibbo's cake quest sportive, and hoping to go even faster up it this time around. Also going to make sure I've got enough left in the tank to push myself up Box Hill (although by all accounts its nothing compared to Leith or Whitedown).

BlakeysFC...were you the rider featured in Cycling Weekly this week in the Wiggo Effect column? If so, then I definitely saw you on the Evans Sportive and the last feedstop before the end just by Biggin Hill...I was wearing the Francaise des Jeux kit (white with blue clover). I recognised you by the converse...just a little advice buddy, please get some proper cycling shoes,cleats and pedals. When I started out the idea of it petrified me but I took the plunge and it improved my riding and enjoyment to no end. It helps so so much, especially with climbing. Anyway, if it isn't you, ignore me!! Might see you on Sunday...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• BlakeysFC
    Really looking forward to this now, posted my PB up Leith Hill on the Ibbo's cake quest sportive, and hoping to go even faster up it this time around. Also going to make sure I've got enough left in the tank to push myself up Box Hill (although by all accounts its nothing compared to Leith or Whitedown).

BlakeysFC...were you the rider featured in Cycling Weekly this week in the Wiggo Effect column? If so, then I definitely saw you on the Evans Sportive and the last feedstop before the end just by Biggin Hill...I was wearing the Francaise des Jeux kit (white with blue clover). I recognised you by the converse...just a little advice buddy, please get some proper cycling shoes,cleats and pedals. When I started out the idea of it petrified me but I took the plunge and it improved my riding and enjoyment to no end. It helps so so much, especially with climbing. Anyway, if it isn't you, ignore me!! Might see you on Sunday...

Yup that was me! Can vaguely remember seeing you at the feed station on the Biggin Hill sportive.

Still a little nervous about riding with cleats/SPD's to be honest, but I've taken the plunge.

I got some cleats, pedals and shoes for my birthday last week, so I'm almost there! :lol:

I've put the cleats onto my shoes, just need to fit the pedals/have them fitted at my LBS on my bike.

Should have them on the bike by the time I do the Cycling Weekly on Sunday. :)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    See you there.

Question for KentPuncheur I'm ride around your neck of the woods at the minute, have you ridden Vigo Hill and if so how does it compare to some of the climbs on this.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Which route are you doing Cal? I live local (was going to do the 70miler but a recent chest infection means no riding so am doing the 30miler instead)

For those riding the descent on Coombe Lane, particularly the corner was pretty slippy yesterday. Take note of the warning signs they have put up!
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    100 mate
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • DHA987S
    1st hill for you is just a long drag, not too steep just one or two short sharp bits but nothing long. The one after the second feed station from around 65 miles has some gradients in there that can be tough that are, from memory, 15%+. The duration of the climb is average 7 or 8% but its the bits that ramp up that are the killer, there are a few of them then it flattens then pitches up again. Enjoy!
  • newjumper
    newjumper Posts: 32
    edited October 2012
    Wow,very impressive entry today....didn't take part on this one today,well done to all those that did.

Nice to see Chris Boardman at top of BoxHill! :D
  • BlakeysFC
    Completed the 30 mile 'fun' route earlier today.

Would've done more if they'd of offered a 45 mile route but couldn't quite stretch my body/legs just yet to do the 76 mile 'standard' route.

Thought it was a pretty damn amazing route, the sun was shining, I managed to ride up Box Hill without stopping at all (which I didn't think I was going to be able to do) and it was just the right balance for me between easy and hard.

Found it a pretty comfortable ride, and loved every minute of it. I'll be back next year to do the Epic route :)

Another huge plus was also shaking Chris Boardman's hand and him awarding me my medal when I arrived back at the finish. Amazing stuff!
  • New to the forum but just wanted to give my big thumbs up for this event! The girlfriend and I bought our bikes 12 weeks ago and have been steadily upping the distance ever since. We'd done a few 40-50 mile runs and then last weekend did a 65 so decided we'd give the 76 miler a go! Was a long long way and a lot of climbing (the Garmin machine I borrowed suggested 6091ft!) but we got round so we are both very chuffed! According to the Garmin it took us 6hrs 20 but the event time will be much longer due to extended grub stops and having to walk the last mile after her tyre blew, that and losing her father which meant a half hour wait too!

Good day though, very much enjoyed it - beautiful route!
  • See you there.

Question for KentPuncheur I'm ride around your neck of the woods at the minute, have you ridden Vigo Hill and if so how does it compare to some of the climbs on this.

Cal sorry for not responding sooner. Where do you live? Do you ride for a local club?

Hope you enjoyed the climbs...Vigo is a leg burner but found Whitedown a harder challenge (1km averaging 13% is bound to test most!). Box Hill was pretty comfortable, more alkin to European alpine climbs and I was able to give it a good thrashing to the top. The route didn't follow the normal ascent of Leith Hill (we did the Abinger road climb, which isn't as tricky), but I strongly recommend you give Leith a try on another occassion, long drag with some stings in the tail along the way, harder than Vigo IMO.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• Just a quick note to further the other comments, fantastic event, really well organised and well thought out route (I've come to expect nothing less from UK cycling events).

This was my 20th sportive of the year (I'm doing a year round charity challenge) and 6th weekend in a row of events so my legs were not the freshest! Though I was going to bonk after the Abinger road climb but held it together to give Whitedown and Box Hill a good thrashing (achieved PBs on both) but then blew up and limped the last 15 or so miles home over the line...just missed out on a silver :(

Met Chris Boardman as well before the sportive by his bike tent and had a good chat with him, really approachable guy (he even tried to sell me a bike!).

Will definitely be venturing back to Box Hill before the year is out to give it a few cracks without >100 km in the legs beforehand! I'm more suited to the long drags @ 4-6% rather than the short punchy stuff of the rest of the downs.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• DHA987S
    Echo the above, well run event and nice route (well the fun version was anyway). Being local it was nice to "know" the climbs rather than go too fast or too slow, also set a PB on box hill. Annoyed with my total time though, but my knee went around 5 miles from the finish and I knew I was going to miss out on my target time, still pissed about it this morning.
  • I'd echo the positive comments - was a really good event. Plenty of food and water/gatorade at the feed stops, helpful mechanic too.
    Did the Standard route, in about the time I'd hoped to, so am pleased. Only disappointment was how cold it was first thing, coming down from Ranmore into the mist!