specialized have finally lost the plot.

2»

Comments

• Specialized spend an awful lot on advertising in mbr and mbuk. I'm pretty sure that adds a few points in reviews.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Specialized spend an awful lot on advertising in mbr and mbuk. I'm pretty sure that adds a few points in reviews.

+ advertising potato
  • I don't trust reviews of any products anyway. They're all paid for any it's opinion anyway.
  • Specialized spend an awful lot on advertising in mbr and mbuk. I'm pretty sure that adds a few points in reviews.

oh yawn :roll:

Oh come on, are you saying specialized don't backhander the reviews? Are you that stupid?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Specialized spend an awful lot on advertising in mbr and mbuk. I'm pretty sure that adds a few points in reviews.

Oh come on, are you saying specialized don't backhander the reviews? Are you that stupid?

The magazines (Future at least) do NOT get paid to give good reviews! Nor do the staff get any incentives.

Accusing them of taking backhanders? That's a libellous comment, take it you've got proof? Can't discuss it without making it personal? Juvenile :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    lawman wrote:
    I have no doubt that some of the bikes do ride well, ride so much better as justify the higher price and poorer spec? Not so sure.

It's got to be a balance... Say you had 2 bikes that ride comparably, one costs £500 and one costs £1000, you've got to give the £500 bike a better mark don't you. But say you have 2 bikes that ride comparably, they both cost the same, but one has nicer kit on it. Should you mark up the one with the nicer kit, even if it doesn't make it perform better? That's not so simple. It might be considered better value... But then, value is ultimately about performance vs cost, not about RRPs and speclist bingo.

Honestly I reckon much of the Specialized range should be cheaper- they've got the economies of scale, the buying power... But at the end of the day if they punch their weight, then that's probably what's most important.
    supersonic wrote:
    The magazines (Future at least) do NOT get paid to give good reviews! Nor do the staff get any incentives.

They might, allegedly, have admitted to making decisions about what bikes to feature based partly on advertising, though.

(fwiw folks- you can go through old reviews and articles and see pretty clearly that some low-advertising brands still get massive coverage and fantastic reviews, such as Ragley, Cotic, etc. And that some big brands sometimes get harsh reviews. It's all there to see if you doubt)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I agree with the above, i just think that spesh do have an influence on review scores to a subtle degree.

Also partially unrelated but future publishing MUST have some kind of financial interest in positively reviewing 29ers given this rediculous video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWl6BsMb ... page#t=57s

What a load of garbage :roll:

Falls over on a bloody stick and pretends the 26er cant climb a path by putting it in the highest gear known to man.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On the fence there- but magazines have a vested interest in promoting the "29er revolution", for the same reason that the bike companies do- more new bikes. Which means more people buying bikes, which means more people buying bike reviews.

But it can also make for interesting reading so.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree with the above, i just think that spesh do have an influence on review scores to a subtle degree.

They have NO influence. It is a bit insulting of you to say that.
  • That video is a bit crap - for that slope they seem to be making a meal of things climbing it - poor gear choice and the way they are climbing on the 26er does look like its designed to make the back wheel slip out (even body positioning is questionable).

I climb on a 26er by applying stead even forces each pedal stroke like they say you should on a 29er, not by mashing the pedal each time my foot gets to the top.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited September 2012
    Also partially unrelated but future publishing MUST have some kind of financial interest in positively reviewing 29ers given this rediculous video

Falls over on a bloody stick and pretends the 26er cant climb a path by putting it in the highest gear known to man.
    Somewhat very promotional video at least, of 29ers that is.

Anyway, whilst reviews in magazines (talking generically here, no specific publisher) may not be influenced, they are getting sponsorship, freebies, test gear and manufacturers are interested in getting their products featured. That's just the nature of the business. The issue I have with many magazines, and this isn't just with bikes, is the actual reviews take a bit of back seat and instead there are many 'features' on a particular topic that also themselves feature kit from a specific manufacturer in a promotional way.

The problem then is I see features on, for example 29ers, telling me this is the future and they believe this is what I should buy. How do I know it's their independent opinion and not what they manufacturers are insisting? I'll stick to my own judgement and test them, though I'm perfectly happy with 26 and see no reason to change, especially in the UK's often sharp, steep and twisty terrain.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Northwind has put what I was trying to say earlier much better. I think he also has it right about the reviewing; they can't deny their business doesn't entirely rely on bike companies, but that doesn't mean they're 'in bed with them', so to speak. Considering smaller manufacturers generally have smaller ranges too (so there's no new bike to review as often), they are still pretty well represented in reviews and generally score pretty well. I'm thinking Transition, Morewood, Sirius, Pivot, Cotic, On One, etc, etc, etc, without even getting into the bargain, German, direct-sales giants.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    edited September 2012
    Its all about us, we have our money we make our choices and we buy are bikes, we make statements with our wallets.

Personally ive brought my first double of well known brands this year which is a first for me, my Giant Road bike which is just an awesome bike, and yes recently i brought my first speshi. previous bikes have been an orange and a couple of treks. The orange never felt right and was a little awkward to ride at times. But the speshi just works yes i have Sram 2x10 cranks and an xt rear mech and slx shifters which someone else mentioned but it just works, the bounce is perfect and stops me getting old man back aches. The bike is light enough to lift on to the roof of the car and it just does everything it sayes on the tin.

Would i buy speshi again?? yes, would i buy giant again? yes, if the bikes did the job i wanted and at a price i could afford, both bikes brought in the sales.
  • this rediculous video

That is flinking hilarious :lol:
  • supersonic wrote:

Are you saying they don't have to be a bit "generous" with reviews for Specialized/Trek/Giant etc to avoid loosing advertising?
    For years the Hardrock came out top in the best bike under £600 even though it's crap value for money.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    edited September 2012
    Brilliant video. I'm off to sell my 26er bikes, buy a 29er and loads of lycra and spd's as these 26er's can't go up or down hill, so basically they're sh1t.

Don't know how the fark i've gone on up to now, oh yeah, just fine :lol:
  • Has this rant about Specialized now turned in to a rant about Future Publishing now?

I have stopped buying MBUK & MBR, all thats in them is the same thing every month about why you MUST buy a 29er and if you don't you are a bad person and 26ers make baby Jesus cry.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Has this rant about Specialized now turned in to a rant about Future Publishing now?

Nah, they're exactly the same thing, apparently :roll:

It seems as though it's physically impossible that Specializeds ride well, and Future mags give them good reviews, which means they're like the human-centipede of the bicycle world.

Something like this, but with more cake:
    308800_10150437959602788_509703637_n.jpg

• I have stopped buying MBUK & MBR, all thats in them is the same thing every month about why you MUST buy a 29er and if you don't you are a bad person and 26ers make baby Jesus cry.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris