Voodoo hoodoo

Cs825
Cs825 Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just took my new voodoo our for a couple of miles.....now I'm a total newbie so some questions maybe daft
But.....certain gears feel a bit not quite in and there is a heavy squeak from the front break....is this just halfords builds issues that should be sorted by lbs when I take it in on sat ?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bikes need to bed in - the gears will need readjusting - give the brakes more time though.
  • Cs825
    Thanks
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Cs825 wrote:
    Thanks

Halfords........... to be politically correct...... and not to generalize.....often fob you off with a bike that's not built up or set up correctly... hence my anti-halfords attitude...... a good lbs will set you right!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Cs825
    That's what I've read hence booking it in for safety check and the fact the guy I saw building it looked like the trainee,s at my work and I know what they're like!
  • supersonic
    How do you know the LBS is any better though?! A good shop is a good shop, regardless of what it is.
  • Cs825
    True i don't will see after sat.
  • Adotparker
    whether or not it's just because it's a big franchise....... Halfords more than often will get bad reviews....... they always have done..... Poor customer service, partly due to the governments incentive to get ''youth'' into work.. with poor training......... i'd love to localise this to particular stores.... but google the complaints!!!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • supersonic
    They do, but I see just as many 'local' or independent shops that are as bad. Just because it is not part of a big group does not mean it is any good. In fact I know of some shameful ones near where I live! All depends on the store.
  • Adotparker
    yeah could be buddy....... they give the bikes a bad rep, I won't lie. back in the day when i was on my Raliegh Amazon.......... and all the ''big boys'' were on the Carrera's and Gt's...... Halfords had a brilliant rep! LBS nowa days generally are quite clicky.......... somewhat like this forum....... a lot of lbs' focus on winning local mtb clubs custom....... and build a solid customer base that way....... I often find the best LBS' are located at Trail Centers.. 2 of my faves...... Sherwood pines, and Cannock chase..... maybe more expensive..... but far better customer service and skill levels... i mean i once saw a halfords ''technician'' .... taking a tyre off a rim with a flat bladed steel screwdriver........... :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have 3 good LBS and a good Halfords along with a lousy LBS and my nearest Evans has an atrocious rep, you just can't generalise.

As for Halfords 'build' most things complained about Halfords won't have touched, its the Merida build they are complaining about that they would have got on a Spesh that cost twice as much (for the same spec)......

As for more often than not getting bad reviews, well that is because most people only review stuff they are unhappy with, so that applies to probably all bike outlets, still lets not let the facts get in the way of your opinion as usual.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Adotparker wrote:
    Cs825 wrote:
    Thanks

Halfords........... to be politically correct...... and not to generalize.....often fob you off with a bike that's not built up or set up correctly... hence my anti-halfords attitude...... a good lbs will set you right!!

I'm not sure how that is politically correct or not generalising?! But anyway I have a very good Halfords near me, a very poor Halfords nearby, a good local bike shop, a very dodgy lbs, and an Evans which is ok! The best thing to do with any shop is to pop in, have a chat to them, and if they seem knowledgeable and helpful then try them. I do not think its reasonable to see all shops within a company as the same as they are not.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Adotparker wrote:
    i mean i once saw a halfords ''technician'' .... taking a tyre off a rim with a flat bladed steel screwdriver........... :S

What's wrong with that. Its just the same as a tyre lever basically but will be longer, so will have more leverage. This will make it easier for him to take off said tyre.
  • The Rookie
    Adotparker wrote:
    whether or not it's just because it's a big franchise
    Halfords aren't franchised.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • compo wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    i mean i once saw a halfords ''technician'' .... taking a tyre off a rim with a flat bladed steel screwdriver........... :S

What's wrong with that. Its just the same as a tyre lever basically but will be longer, so will have more leverage. This will make it easier for him to take off said tyre.

rim damage..........
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • The Rookie
    Not necesarily at all.......
  • For relevance to the actual OPs post yes the gears will just need readjusting from the cable stretch of a new bike. Just pop it back to the Halfords you got it from as you will have a free first service for that very reason. Like Supersonic said, the brakes need bedding in. The best way to do this is buy finding a hill, preferably a road, and riding down it then making a sharp but controlled stop at the bottom. You need to transfer some of the pad material onto the rotor to pair them. If this transfer does not occur correctly i.e. you have parts of rotor that do not have pad deposit and some that do, you will get squeaky brakes.

In relevance to the Halfords issue (which i have commented on numerous times on this forum), the quality of service really does depend on which store you go and what time you go to the store. The best time to go to any of the stores is when the mechanic is in (usually 9-5) as they will have the most knowledge about bikes. I myself am a mechanic at Halfords and I know a hell of a lot about bikes. I've only ever had praise from customers, never once in the last year have i worked for them have i had a complaint. However i can see how some people can have problems as some of the members of staff i work with are pretty useless in terms of bike knowledge and customer service but in all fairness, they do not ride bikes for a hobby and are only in the shop for 10hrs a week.

You will always read bad reviews on forums about Halfords on the internet because nobody posts about the good service they might receive. You only read about the bad stuff. I can guarantee that less than 10% of people who do get great service would actually post/talk about it. And more than 90% of people who receive bad service will post and complain about it, and that's the stuff that gets read. Unfortunately It's just the way it is. It annoys me when people are so naive to the fact that they will never get a bike form a Halfords store just because they read a couple of bad reviews about a store that is nowhere near them. If you have experienced bad service, fair enough just go to a different Halfords or a LBS, don't complain about it and try to generalise every shop in the UK.

Back to the OP, I hope you enjoy the new bike as the Hoodoo is a cracking bike for the price and a great one for a newbie to the MTB scene!
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Adotparker wrote:
    compo wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

Bell-end.......... rim damage..........

Firstly I shall start with the rim damage: surely, it is just the same as a metal tyre lever.

Secondly I shall move onto the Bell End - I usually find the front is best, perhaps on the bars. I do find that shouting is more effective and quicker however, so I wouldn't waste your money
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    compo wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

Bell-end.......... rim damage..........

Firstly I shall start with the rim damage: surely, it is just the same as a metal tyre lever.

Secondly I shall move onto the Bell End - I usually find the front is best, perhaps on the bars. I do find that shouting is more effective and quicker however, so I wouldn't waste your money
    dont_feed_the_troll_RE_Ask_a_Dawn-s288x288-104455-580.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011