is this grease suitable?

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
As per title, is this grease suitable for for bikes, I have a tub sitting in my garage and wondered if it was ok for general bike use

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_214754_langId_-1_categoryId_165705#tab4

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not use it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any particular reason. I've been using a tub of wheel bearing grease on headset bearings and stuff for many years - seems to work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    I thought it would be ok for installing pedals ect, lithium based and waterproof, but im no expert.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lithium grease is pretty poor on bikes - it is not suitable for static applications (dries, bonds metals together) and also has a habit of rotting seals.

halfords Teflon stuff is much better.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I've used the Comma General Purpose Grease in the past - it works fine for everything except for forks and shocks.

Now, I prefer to use the Comma Bearing Grease instead - mainly for its slightly higher viscosity when used to lubricate cup and cone hubs.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    supersonic wrote:
    Lithium grease is pretty poor on bikes - it is not suitable for static applications (dries, bonds metals together) and also has a habit of rotting seals.

halfords Teflon stuff is much better.

This. Nowt wrong with cheap grease, but there is something wrong with lithium grease.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    +1 on the halfords teflon. Just as good as the expensive stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lithium grease has it's uses, just none on a bike that I can think of.

For pedal threads use a thread lube like copperslip, not a grease!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any grease at all is the important bit, where things move. Lower down on the priority list is what grease.

Really it's just down to the thickness of the stuff for the thing you're greasing, and greasing things that need grease.

Things that shouldn't move - loctite on small torque threads, copperslip maybe on higher torque items to aid removal.
  • supersonic
    Is paramount you get the right grease if lubing some forks though, as lithium based ones will swell bushes and seals.
  • Lithium grease is not good for bikes? I'm sure I have had recommended on here before to use Castrol LM grease for my cup and cone bearings (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165705) am I in the wrong?
  • supersonic
    It will be ok for cup and cone bearings, but that's about it - which is why a teflon grease is much better a can be used for much more inc static surfaces.