New rotors

bigman1976
bigman1976 Posts: 29
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've fitted larger rotors this evening relatively successfully (touch wood). Should I replace the pads even though the existing ones have plenty of life left in them?

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    they should be ok

but do the bedding in pads bit before you start tearing around on them

make sure they work even when wet
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    They'll be fine, just ride. They'll bed themselves in as you use them.
  • Excellent. I'll get them bedded in tomorrow.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have of course degreased the new discs.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes. Did that after fitting.
  • Well, having bedded in my new brakes on Saturday, I've been out on he bike properly today. The power is certainly much better but when I'm leaning the bike over in corners, the brakes can be heard rubbing. Is this usual? I am heavy and I doubt the wheels on my Rockhopper are the strongest, but is it just the flex in the wheels causing this? Everything is done up tight so the rotor can't be moving.
  • Yep.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigman1976 wrote:
    Well, having bedded in my new brakes on Saturday, I've been out on he bike properly today. The power is certainly much better but when I'm leaning the bike over in corners, the brakes can be heard rubbing. Is this usual? I am heavy and I doubt the wheels on my Rockhopper are the strongest, but is it just the flex in the wheels causing this? Everything is done up tight so the rotor can't be moving.
    Yes it is normal.

Wheel flex will not effect the rub. Fork flex and hub wear can do but dont worry about it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cool. Looking forward to putting them to good use in the future.