Vuelta stage 13 ****SPOILER*****

2»

Comments

• Alan A wrote:
    Well done Mr Cummings. Does that mean that all the brits who have raced in a GT this year have a stage win? Must be a first.

Ben Swift, Ian Stannard, Jeremy Hunt, Geraint Thomas and Peter Kennaugh haven't won stages.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Degenkolb a casualty of his own success.
    Yep.

Great win for Cummings, never thought he was going to hold them off there!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    thegibdog wrote:
    Degenkolb a casualty of his own success.
    Yep.

Great win for Cummings, never thought he was going to hold them off there!

Really exciting stuff... he reminded me of Mo Farah the way he kept looking behind him whilst desparately holding them off in the sprint.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Finally get a break from the predictable pattern of results at the Vuelta and we get the shortest spoiler thread in GT history. Excellent effort by the break and well done Steve!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Really good news. I haven't seen the stage on TV but he deserves some success. It isn't that many years ago that single stage win would have been the the pinnacle of British cycling's aspirations, it's starting to seem a little commonplace these days.

Can anyone envisage a time in the future when the bubble bursts and Britain are again nobodies in cycling?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Is Cummings persona non grata round here or something? One of your own wins a stage in a GT - and in a way some would regard as more "honorable" than getting dragged around a stage until 200m from the finish - and the thread struggles to hit two pages? (I think its actually the lowest post stage thread of this years Vuelta).
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    LangerDan wrote:
    Is Cummings persona non grata round here or something? One of your own wins a stage in a GT - and in a way some would regard as more "honorable" than getting dragged around a stage until 200m from the finish - and the thread struggles to hit two pages? (I think its actually the lowest post stage thread of this years Vuelta).
    Friday, innit
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    Friday, innit

Last Fridays stage hit 8 pages.

Meh - its no skin off my nose, as the circumsised elephant said.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Haven't seen the last 10k yet. Chuffed for Cummings. Very nice reward after an injury plagued year.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    LangerDan wrote:

Office boy's forum.. everyone gone home.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Just got back from germany and watched live coverage on sky+.
    Saw it with break away, I usually fast forard to last 5km but saw Fletcha, Cummins, Cooke, Viviani, DeGent and Mayer in the break with Argos chasing 3mins down with 50km to go and though it might be worth watching it all so I did. Argos not strong enough to bring it back alone, later Lotto tried to help, but with strong group ahead they always had a chance to win from break. I watched expecting the leaders to break but they were working well and it was good to watch the face of argos working their bollox of and getting no where :D
    Good dig by Flecha with 7km to go, Cummins was clever and did not panic and let others close close before closing himself. Group then down to six and Cummins timed his attack perfect though I expected Mayer to be on him like a leach but for some reason Mayer left a gap before chasig, probably hoping for someone else to close.
    Cimmins rode perfect and hard to stay away from two riders like Flecha and Mayer , fantastic ride.
    Shame he had such a bad feb/mark with those breaks and crashes or we may have seen more from him in the TDF.
    Tomorrows stage will be interesting and we my find out if Froome is really cooked or still in with good chance.
    If he cant win this I hope J-Rod hangs on, can't bear it to go to Bertie ( or less likely Valverde) so come on J-Rod and Froome joint effort to get rid of the other two.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Great win, after all his recent injury probs - congrats Stephen :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just watched this.

Impressive win. People like me get a little snobby about breakaway wins - where you're only really racing the others in the break, but a) breaks don't get much more heavyweight than that one and b) the peloton was chasing hard too.