What wheels....AM Aero 3 420's?

n4th4n007
n4th4n007 Posts: 364
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Ok, so I am after a new set of wheels. I currently have Shimano RS80 C24s, weight is around 1530g. I am interested in giving some aero wheels a shot! But not tubs and I want an ally brake surface, so looking at the American Classic Aero 3 420's. Weight is the same as my current wheels, so I dont think i will notice any difference climbing, but they are obviously more aero.

Or simply scrap that idea and get a set of Dura Ace C24s and drop some weight. Both sets around £550.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited August 2012
    The drop in weight between RS80-24 and 7900-24's is officially the same as a gnat's chaff. The DA hubs run a bit smoother but not much in that either. What are you hoping to get out of splashing £550 or is it a case of your current wheels are cream crackered so you need to buy something and fancy something else?
  • n4th4n007
    n4th4n007 Posts: 364
    I think its about 150g, admitedley not a huge amount, but just fancied something a little "pimpier".
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fair enough, just edited my last post to that effect :)

I haven't tried the AMs but I do like the DA wheels...just not enough to replace my current RS80s for them until I need to.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    My set are pre the 3 bit but are the same wheel in all other respects.

They are not radically Aero (rim depth of 34mm) so they do not overly suffer with the usual side wind issues. They are nice and roll very well. They have several unique features that make them worthy of a go IMO.
    1. They have a cam operated set of pawls so they all engage together giving instant (and equal) freehub bite full power.
    2. The alu nipples are designed so they are in compression as opposed to tension so they avoid the fatigue fractures often associated with Alu nipples.
    3. The front hub is almost pencil thin so makes for even less centrifugal resistance.
    4. The rear hub has a larger spoke wheel on the drive side to allow for equal tension.

Only negative is that the bearings tend to need replacing more often than some as they are so small/light.

Very strong but light wheels with no noticable flex even when out of the saddle climbing/sprinting.

Cycling plus last month did a wheel review and they got 4 out of 5 stars.

Of course some one will be along in a mimute to tell you to stay celar of factory wheels and get a decent set of handbuilts but thats life.
    Yellow is the new Black.