Bikemate computer from Aldi

jagman547
jagman547 Posts: 14
edited October 2019 in Road general
My brother in law has a Bikemate wireless cycle computer from Aldi, but is finding it has a mind of it's own!!!!
When stopped it shows 28mph on the bike but returns to zero when taken off. When lifting the bike and spinning the wheels it works, but when ridden it does not - strange!!
I have checked his set up and it appears OK, any ideas?

As Aldi have no further stock I have emailed the disributors in Germany but they have as yet not responded.

I have bought bike stuff from Aldi before and found them to be good value for money - providing you don't want a 'named' brand.

Interested to hear any responses.

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    does he have a light anywhere near it?

a mate was out the other day and his went haywire, after much searching it turned out the led lamp he had on the same side of the bar caused the problem even though it wasnt turned on.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    They're pretty rubbish. I've had more grief with cheap computers than anything else cycling related. I had 2 Aldi wireless ones with heart rate monitor if its the same one you're talking about. Eventually I gave up, the most recent replacement has never been out of the box, and bought a Garmin.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I got a cheap Bell wireless computer from Asda for not much money. So far it's working OK and seems to be getting speeds and distance correct. Eventually I'll get something like a Garmin, but this is doing the job fine for now :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • like most computer type things he may be better taking battery out to reset the whole thing and starting again....ive got a couple that i bought several years ago only just fitted mine to new bike, will see how it goes.
  • You get what you pay for really..
  • I've been using the Aldi one for approx 7 weeks or so now & can't fault it at all!!!

It was 7 quid approx, I have measured it's accuracy with two vehicle mileometers & it is spot on in it's calibration!!

Had no issues with mine, it's been wet through on more than one occasion also.

I still have the instructions, I can look to see if the 3 year warranty phone number is on it if you like?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • does he have a light anywhere near it?

a mate was out the other day and his went haywire, after much searching it turned out the led lamp he had on the same side of the bar caused the problem even though it wasnt turned on.

Thanks, I never thought of that one, will pass on to B-i-L and see what he comes up with.
  • luke7s
    luke7s Posts: 8
    I've had the same problem, make sure the sensor on the spoke in properly aligned. And is in close enough contact with the sensor on the fork.
  • mik82
    mik82 Posts: 38
    Yeah - check the alignment of the sensor and magnet. Also the wireless connection is very simple so anything producing signals on a similar frequency can interfere - I used to get 50mph when sat at some traffic lights for example. Other things like mobiles or switching electronic circuits could possibly have a similar effect. I've got an Aldi computer from a few years ago and it works fine considering the price- gives altitude, HR etc, although battery life isn't the greatest.
  • jagman547 wrote:
    does he have a light anywhere near it?

Thanks, I never thought of that one, will pass on to B-i-L and see what he comes up with.

Gave it a try, worked perfectly - for about quarter of a mile, then shot up to 38mph and stuck at that!!!!
    First really disappointed product I have bought from Aldi.

A budget buy from Halfords would probably have been better, my own is from their, donkeys years old and still going strong.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    To offer another perspective, i've been using a Lidl wired computer on my commuting bike for the last 2 1/2 years, it's been on three different bikes used all year round in snow, rain, wind and even (occaissonaly) sun, and has only just given up the ghost. In the same period of time on my nicer bike i've had a Topeak, 2 Cateyes and a Trek computer all of which have been no where near as good as the Lidl one and all cost substantially more.

To be fair i reckon i've been lucky with the Lidl one and unlucky with the others but i'm sure with all of these devices a certain percentage will fail and a certain percentage will go on forever, people just complain about the failing ones more.
  • I had one and my neighbour also..... Both kept recording miles when not in use, and speed (often 2.8 mph exactly) when stood still. I found if I put the head unit on a metal vice or piece of Stella it started showing 2.8 mph !

Took both back for refunds!
  • I've been using the Aldi bikemate wireless computer for a few years now and although I'm looking to upgrade to get cadence I've never had a problem with mine, either speed or the HRM. The only advice I could offer is to make sure the battery in the fork transmitter is ok and it's aligned with the spoke magnet properly.
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • Tony70
    Tony70 Posts: 1
    Hi got one of the Aldi bikemate 22967 wireless computers the one with the solar panel and does everything and more than a lot of dearer ones do not had any problems with it yet had it in rain and still works but does anyone know of a better bar mount that will fit this computer