yet another insurance question apologies

lordmerchant
lordmerchant Posts: 378
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Just moved to a house with a garage wooden garage and plan to keep my bikes in, looked around for a few quotes to get bikes stored and covered with the contents insurance, but have been unable to locate any specifics as to what locks etc I must use for the cover to be valid. I know different insurers will specify different things in the small print, but can anyone recommend any insurers with more "realistic" policies.
If it helps so far I have re-enforced the up and over doors with 4x enfield bolts and plan to use a heavy duty ground anchor with a decent chain and lock.

Comments

• andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    More than are quite specific. Your bike must be fixed to an immovable object. Essentially this means something concreted to the floor. It's best to phone and ask, write everything down and then photo all your security measures in case they refuse to pay out.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    I use the AA, up to £1500 a bike in the basic cover (or if they're worth more you put them on as named items ). They're covered when in the shed if it's locked, forcible entry shown. (please double check all of this though before you buy your cover!)

I've also beefed up the shed door with coach bolts and installed one of these:

http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

Easier to install and use than a ground anchor but almost as good in security terms.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    i know it's not really an answer to the original question, however if you can keep your most valuable bike in the house it's self, go for direct line. recently had a 5K pay out on a bike under genearl contents (not named item) as it was in the house, didn't pay anyextra premium for it 9other than my insurance will go up next year)
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    Just spoke to a crime prevention officer I know, make sure any ground anchor you use is sold secure and ask for a copy of the certificate - securityforbikes.com are all police approved and aren't overly expensive when compared to B&Q and the likes.